Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fatal fetal abnormality

• 05-04-2020 8:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi,

My baby has been diagnosed with one of these conditions. I’m almost 16 weeks pregnant. The condition is rare and baby has absolutely zero chance of survival.

Has anyone any experience of going into hospital to miscarry at this stage? How long did it take and how bad is it if so? Just trying to mentally prepare if we do make that decision.

It’s difficult to find any experience of similar situations as this process is so new in Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

Hi, I had experience similar, but had to go to UK for a termination at the time. I think there are different options available to you but would depend on your own preferences and beliefs. I think you should probably discuss all your options with your obstetrician. I'm so sorry you are going through this and hope you find the least painful solution in this tragic time. Thoughts are with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Barelysane2019

maxsmum wrote: »
    Hi, I had experience similar, but had to go to UK for a termination at the time. I think there are different options available to you but would depend on your own preferences and beliefs. I think you should probably discuss all your options with your obstetrician. I'm so sorry you are going through this and hope you find the least painful solution in this tragic time. Thoughts are with you.

Thanks for your kind response. We have been told our options but haven’t yet really decided what to do, it’s really tough. Leaning towards ending the pregnancy as we feel that everyone would suffer less and this condition comes with health risks for me.

I think in the UK there’s a surgical option up to 15 weeks but not here.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭awny

Thanks for your kind response. We have been told our options but haven’t yet really decided what to do, it’s really tough. Leaning towards ending the pregnancy as we feel that everyone would suffer less and this condition comes with health risks for me.

I think in the UK there’s a surgical option up to 15 weeks but not here.

Barelysane,

I’m so sorry for what you’re going through. I had replied earlier but it never published for some reason. I dont have any experience myself but I’m aware of someone who recently was diagnosed with a FFA and they induced her? I’m not sure how far exactly she was but I’d imagine 20+ weeks. Is that an option? That would be a tough thing to do.

I really Wish you all the best x

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Barelysane2019

awny wrote: »
    Barelysane,

I’m so sorry for what you’re going through. I had replied earlier but it never published for some reason. I dont have any experience myself but I’m aware of someone who recently was diagnosed with a FFA and they induced her? I’m not sure how far exactly she was but I’d imagine 20+ weeks. Is that an option? That would be a tough thing to do.

I really Wish you all the best x

Thanks - they didn’t say induction but they mentioned taking a pill and then coming back to hospital to take more and staying there until it’s over. They also said there’d be pain management but have no idea if this just means a couple of paracetamol or something stronger?! Wasn’t really up to asking for the detail at that time. Due back in a couple of days so I guess I’ll find out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I would imagine it would be something stronger if needed.
    I am so sorry barelysane, such a terrible thing to have to be facing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement