Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philip King’s South Wind Blows

Options
  • 04-04-2020 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭

A show I have listened to regularly for years.

A show that has introduced me to fantastic music.

Just now he is playing the sublime “who knows where the time goes” by Sandy Denny.

Exquisite playing from Richard Thompson.

The host Philip King is damn near a national treasure! Such a champion of quality Irish music it has to be said also.

Anyone else a fan?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

A show I have listened to regularly for years.

A show that has introduced me to fantastic music.

Just now he is playing the sublime “who knows where the time goes” by Sandy Denny.

Exquisite playing from Richard Thompson.

The host Philip King is damn near a national treasure! Such a champion of quality Irish music it has to be said also.

Anyone else a fan?

It's not even the music

It's the place he transports you to while you listen

West Dublin to Kerry in the blink of an eyelid

Why don't RTE push the good things that they have under their noses and not the garbage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Quiuse

Yes It is fantastic music and I listen in free time

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I'm a fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,669 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Excellent stuff...The Gloaming, ‘Into The Mystic’ and ‘God Give Me Strength’ :)

A point deducted however, for that cover of ‘Friday I’m In Love’ :(

The last song last night....Bog Braon by Bernie Phaid (spent a while on the google), utterly spellbinding.

Was a good show but yeah Friday I'm in love? No disrespect to Mr Smith and the boys but the Cure just doesnt grab me as South Wind Blows...

Now Van - when that foghorn blowsss, yeah that's more like it.

• Advertisement

Was a good show but yeah Friday I'm in love? No disrespect to Mr Smith and the boys but the Cure just doesnt grab me as South Wind Blows...

It reminded me of one of my own personal dislikes...ad men having a woman with ‘fragile’ vocals covering a well-known indie/rock song (started by Lily Allen’s song for John Lewis). :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭DublinKev

Essential listening.

Philip King is an oasis of calm in these stressful times, with his beguiling selection and knowledge of music. You feel transported to West Kerry, can almost feel the waves lap up to the studio door.

It reminded me of one of my own personal dislikes...ad men having a woman with ‘fragile’ vocals covering a well-known indie/rock song (started by Lily Allen’s song for John Lewis). :mad:

Horrendous WM. Don Draper would never have tolerated that sh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭RINO87

Really enjoyable show, I like the music and his presenting style,
    Although i did get a good laugh when someone on here at Christmas described his Christmas day show as "old man whispers at radio all day about being on the edge of europe" or some such!

I love Philip’s whispering, husky tones too...as if he’s broadcasting without RTE’s permission and has snuck into the studio :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,971 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I love Philip’s whispering, husky tones too...as if he’s broadcasting without RTE’s permission and has snuck into the studio :D

He may well do.

A friend of mine holidayed in Dingle one year. The compass in his anorak directed him to RTÉ's studio in Baile Na nGall, which he found to have been left unlocked.

Lovin this Auld Triangle. Liftin the spirits for the night thats in it.

Just listened back to Saturday night’s show...once again, an excellent mix.

Scullion’s ‘Down In The City’, ‘Something Right’ by Camilla Griehsel and that epic live version of ‘The Auld Triangle’ - sublime :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

If ye like that show ye should try Peadair o'Riadas Cureadh chun Ceoil on radio na gaeltachta
    Fridays between 7 and 9pm
    Its in Irish, but a good companion to SWB
    https://www.rte.ie/rnag/cuireadh-chun-ceoil/

If ye like that show ye should try Peadair o'Riadas Cureadh chun Ceoil on radio na gaeltachta
    Fridays between 7 and 9pm
    Its in Irish, but a good companion to SWB
    https://www.rte.ie/rnag/cuireadh-chun-ceoil/

Thanks for the recommendation Phelix, will give that a listen.

Does he not turn the stereo on sometimes? Feel robbed! Listening to Easter Saturday’s show online and it’s in mono yet the ads and news from Dublin are in stereo. ☹️

Is there a no more beautiful piece if music than ‘Samhradh Samhradh’ by The Gloaming?

And finishing off with The Blue Nile!

Good call :)

Just listened back to Saturday night’s show - superb :)

Van Morrison live from ‘The Last Waltz’, Villagers and Steve Cooney with Iarla Ó Lionáird from ‘Other Voices’ :)

Shame the show is only on for an hour :(

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

I'm a fan also - I just seem to miss getting to hear it and it is awkward enough to find on the apps to replay it.

I much prefer it to the Creedon show - no disrespect - but I probably prefer the folksy touch and I just find it more adventurous in terms of content.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 seekenee

Yes, it would be great if someone was capturing them for future access somewhere - mixcloud?

• Advertisement

Excellent show again on Saturday night, ending with ‘Little Musgrave’ by Christy Moore.

:)

Oddly, the streams for the shows on both 12th and 19th June don't seem to be working, disappointing. I miss my fix from the most westerly point of Europe.
    https://www.rte.ie/radio1/south-wind-blows/programmes/2021/0612/1227779-south-wind-blows-saturday-12-june-2021/?clipid=103695473#103695473

One hour really isn’t long enough for this fantastic show. :(

That is all. :D

It is usually commonplace to complain about a show being moved in the schedule, but I like the fact that TSWB is now on late on a Sunday evening.

Just feels right. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 10,249 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Personally I find the King show a bit boring and repetitive. Much prefer the Rolling Wave or Céilí House.

Maybe he's changed but week after week, all I heard was the same old intro about the westernmost part of the Holy Isle and the next parish being America blah blah. Great for Bord Failte and Kerry Tourism but formulaic and grating after a while. So I kinda avoid it now and go play a few tunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Much better slot for it, didn’t get to hear it much at the previous time but will hopefully catch it more often now.

The tide is turning…

Advertisement