Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitbit for kids

Options
  • 04-04-2020 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭

I've recently purchased a Fitbit for myself and am really enjoying it. I see there's a kid's version, the Fitbit Ace, for kids aged 8+. I am considering getting it for my 6 year old, to help motivate him come out for walks with me. Anyone got any experiences of these, positive or negative? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I’ve no experience but following with interest! My 6yr old has asked for one, a girl in her class has one and she also sees how much I use mine. She’s very active but I’m a bit concerned about encouraging things like step counting at such a young age. Can’t figure out if it’s the right or wrong thing to do, although I’m pretty sure she just associates it with a fun thing to do but I don’t want her to get fixated on a target if you get me!

I’m no help... sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Digs wrote: »
    I’ve no experience but following with interest! My 6yr old has asked for one, a girl in her class has one and she also sees how much I use mine. She’s very active but I’m a bit concerned about encouraging things like step counting at such a young age. Can’t figure out if it’s the right or wrong thing to do, although I’m pretty sure she just associates it with a fun thing to do but I don’t want her to get fixated on a target if you get me!

I’m no help... sorry!

Maybe it's slightly sexist of me, but I do think I'd be a little more cautious with a girl, when statistically they tend to be under more pressure when it comes to body image etc. So I can see where you're coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Maybe it's slightly sexist of me, but I do think I'd be a little more cautious with a girl, when statistically they tend to be under more pressure when it comes to body image etc. So I can see where you're coming from.

No that makes sense! I only have girls so I am really overly aware of it. My brother was saying he doesn’t have the same concerns about his sons.

Advertisement