Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting gears on Popal Dutch swing bike

Options
  • 04-04-2020 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi,

So my wife has a Popal Dutch swing bike which is fixed gear. Unfortunately she just cant take it out any more as its too hard to cycle especially pushing off from traffic lights and any sort of hill leaves her bunched!

I was wondering ;
    1) is it possible to add a simple six speed to the bike to help?
    2) Is there somewhere in Dublin that will do this for me?

Update: found a similar bike with SHIMANO Nexus gears added.

Any help welcome,

Peter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭cletus

The Nexus is an internal hub gear, so that d imagine you'd have more luck buying a wheel already built, rather than buying the hub itself (unless you're a wheel builder)

Without knowing the size of the wheels on your bike, here's one on eBay

https://m.ebay.ie/itm/124102661365?ul_ref=https%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F1%2F5282-53468-19255-0%2F1%3Fff3%3D2%26toolid%3D10039%26campid%3D5338471250%26customid%3D101_213_209%26item%3D124102661365%26vectorid%3D229543%26lgeo%3D1%26srcrot%3D5282-53468-19255-0%26rvr_id%3D2359613481886%26rvr_ts%3D45449d661710a9caddc6c743ffdf1fbf&_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1&ul_noapp=true

You'll also need a shifter, obviously enough

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Hi,

So my wife has a Popal Dutch swing bike which is fixed gear. Unfortunately she just cant take it out any more as its too hard to cycle especially pushing off from traffic lights and any sort of hill leaves her bunched!

I was wondering ;
    1) is it possible to add a simple six speed to the bike to help?
    2) Is there somewhere in Dublin that will do this for me?

Update: found a similar bike with SHIMANO Nexus gears added.

Any help welcome,

Peter

You could defo add something like a 3 speed internal gear hub. Something like that would give you a gentler gear to start. You would have flexibility with the rear cog - larger at the back will make it easier to pedal.

I got a wheel built by practical cycles in the UK. Internal hub hear and drum brake. They shipped it over and I put it in myself. Not that complicated but a bike shop would put it in for you if you asked around I'm sure.
    In Ireland I know high nelly bikes in limerick would do the full job, build the wheel and get it in your bike.
    About 200 or so all in.

I don't think you would be able to add anything requiring a rear derailleur as you wouldn't have the right dropouts. If you asked in a bike shop or sent pics they would confirm though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The Cheapest solution would be a smaller front chainring, I presume it is single speed and not actually fixed gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭peteshamrock

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll have a look at those lads in Limerick. It's a lovely looking bike hate to just leave it in the shed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

CramCycle wrote: »
    The Cheapest solution would be a smaller front chainring, I presume it is single speed and not actually fixed gear.

This.
    Is put money on it not being a fixie but a single speed.
    Smaller chainring will make it easier to cycle.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,386 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

would it be cheaper to change the gearing at the back though? e.g. go from a 16 tooth to a 19, rather than changing the chainring down (which may not be possible)?
    though that would possibly involve changing the chain too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

would it be cheaper to change the gearing at the back though? e.g. go from a 16 tooth to a 19, rather than changing the chainring down (which may not be possible)?
    though that would possibly involve changing the chain too.

Probably, depends on if tools are available or your goign to a bike shop to do the work.

Advertisement