Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fox in city center

Options
  • 03-04-2020 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭

Would it be unusual to see fox's in the heart of Dublin ? I know the city center is a ghost town currently but I was watching the earth cam of temple bar and a fox just casually walks by the temple bar pub...I know they are frequent enough in the suburbs.

Comments

harr wrote: »
    Would it be unusual to see fox's in the heart of Dublin ? I know the city center is a ghost town currently but I was watching the earth cam of temple bar and a fox just casually walks by the temple bar pub...I know they are frequent enough in the suburbs.

Nope, they are around Dublin 1 all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Christmas 12 months ago I was waiting for a bus on Cathal Brugha street at about 11.00pm on a busy Friday and a fox literally brushed past my legs, and sauntered down Marlborough street. Mind you I've never experienced a fox in town before but I'd say it's common enough in 'normal' times. At the moment they have free reign - but slim pickings.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I used to see them on occasion in the underground carpark in Heuston South Quarter when things were quiet. They're pretty good at being stealthy so usually you'd just get a glimpse of one darting out from behind a rubbish bin or whatever.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

No urban foxes are very common. I’m guessing because everything is so quiet they’re becoming more confident. Beautiful creatures, so mysterious!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I'm 10 minutes walk from town and have often seen a fox late at night. They just look at you and carry on. They must love this!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Saw one in Dublin 1 a few weeks ago on the way to Tolka Park from City Centre. They are pretty common around the place. I run early morning and will usually see foxes. Saw 2 together in St Anne's Park this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm 10 minutes walk from town and have often seen a fox late at night. They just look at you and carry on. They must love this!
    There's probably not a lot of food around for them at the moment though.

I wonder what the fox population of Dublin is at currently - I live in the suburbs and often go out walking at night, it wouldn’t be uncommon to see four or five foxes within an hour or two, there seems to be loads!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭dinky earnshaw

I've seen them on Chapel st and Parnell st.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

saw one outside St James Hospital

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,317 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Have seen a few around the city. Had one visit the front garden most mornings when I lived in Glasnevin.

Most bizarre one was one strolling along the pavement on Gardiner Street without a care in the world as if he owned the place.

It would probably be more surprising there aren’t more urban foxes - plentiful food source and less chance of having heads blown off after eating some farmer’s chickens.

Beautiful animals. Love seeing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Good few in dublin 8. Usually I'm coming home drunk when I see them but the other night me and the 7 year old went for a walk. At start I offered him a fox hunt in the tenters or a walk along the canal. He chose canal but we then ended up seeing what looked like a family of foxes leaving for the night, down in front of the self storage factory. There was at least two and I think four (not sure if I saw two sets of two or just the same two twice). the second one was definitely smaller than the lead one. It looked like he / she was teaching the second one. More a juvenile than a cub.

We've been back a few times at a similar time but haven't seen them again yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Plenty of them where I am in Dublin 7

Saw one a few years ago on Westland Row at about 8.30am on a weekday, trotting along in the middle of rush hour traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

This little feller pops round regular for a mooch around. Sleeps out the back all day. Happy to have him around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Gorgeous. Have you seen him sleeping or do you just see him coming out? Do they smell by the way, my father said his neighbors as a kid had a pet fox and it stank

a148pro wrote: »
    Gorgeous. Have you seen him sleeping or do you just see him coming out? Do they smell by the way, my father said his neighbors as a kid had a pet fox and it stank

Yeah, most days out the back, it gets the afternoon sun and lawn tends to be nice & tall so may be why it suits him. Not sure what eyesight is like cos i can get quite close, maybe 10 feet or so, but any closer and he skidaddles fair quick. Never got close enough for a proper sniff!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Yeah, most days out the back, it gets the afternoon sun and lawn tends to be nice & tall so may be why it suits him. Not sure what eyesight is like cos i can get quite close, maybe 10 feet or so, but any closer and he skidaddles fair quick. Never got close enough for a proper sniff!

Beautiful garden!! And foxy looking fox!

I have seen one waiting for a bus near O’Connell St. BeaUtiful creatures. My heart was in my mouth that it would get knocked down or some toerag would scare it into the traffic on purpose. Live and let live.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,948 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Saw a photo during the week of a fox at the hapeny Bridge in the wee hours. I'm still trying to figure out where abouts it could live during the day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

25 years ago coming out of the raves in town and you would occasionally see the odd fox mooching around the lanes.

This photo amazes me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Strangest Fox experience I had was when I was walking along the canal at Drumcondra in twilight and saw what I thought was a dog approaching me.

I called him over as I would a dog and he came close and circled me in a inquisitive fashion . Then I realised it was a fox. Obviously used to people.

As a country boy was strange as you would only see foxes briefly and they gave people a huge wide berth.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I've seen them around Drimnagh, Rathmines and Donnybrook.

Apparently some live in the Iveagh Gardens and Trinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

See last photo here: https://twitter.com/DubCityCouncil/status/1250413543645761536 I think it's North Circular Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I recently had an online argument with a lady telling me to not hunt foxes because theres only 2500 left in the wild in the world because Google said so
    I reckon half of that number is in Dublin city now

I recently had an online argument with a lady telling me to not hunt foxes because theres only 2500 left in the wild in the world because Google said so I reckon half of that number is in Dublin city now

There must be that many as road kill each year alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,549 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The Red Fox has been in the cities and towns before and during the development of them since viking times. They've always been part of the eco system scavenging, feeding, breeding and making their lives amongst us.

I'd imagine the city and urban foxes are suffering from the loss of food from restaurants, fast-food joints, eateries & the general waste left on streets from apple-buts to overflowing industrial bins that occupy our back lanes and staff entrances in the cities.

One can only hope the struggling rats that survive on the same food sources are feeding the predatory wildlife in the cities. My city (Dublin) hosts a huge variety of predatory wildlife, owls, hawks, falcons, stoats etc... that rely on human activities to directly or indirectly support their lives so it's interesting times for the urban indigenous mammals in the cities and towns.

I recently had an online argument with a lady telling me to not hunt foxes because theres only 2500 left in the wild in the world because Google said so
    I reckon half of that number is in Dublin city now

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if it was even in excess of that number just in Dublin.
    I live in the suburbs and often go out for a walk late when I’ve trouble sleeping - wouldn’t be unusual at all for me to see 4 or 5 in the space of an hour, sometimes more

Is it maybe drawing a distinction between urban foxes and foxes in the wild? No idea really but figure seems scarcely credibly low regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Years ago, driving on a narrow country road in Tipperary in pitch dark in the middle of the night I turned a bend to see a rabbit running towards my car pursued by a fox about two or three metres behind. The rabbit ran into the car, or vice versa with fatal consequences. The fox turned tail and vamoosed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement