Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your podcast list?

Options
  • 03-04-2020 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭

At the moment some of us are watching Netflix, YouTube, amazon and Disney.

But I'm currently researching Guy Richie's film, making career, and I came across a pod cast with him self and Joe Rogan. With this amount of time I have, I've decided to write a screen play, I've had floating around my head for 8 years.

Joe Rogan has a fantastic ability to host and moderate pod casts, but it always seems to fall into the MMA direction or talking about injury's. which is not something I enjoy all that much.

What I'm wondering has any one got any pod casts they recommend it can be fashion, work, mental, health and attitude. So what I'm wondering has any one got any recommendation's for other pod casts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

I find the Ron Burgundy podcast very funny (but you would want to have enjoyed Anchorman to get it!)

Lots of good ones out there, sports ones are a bit dead at the moment so some other Irish ones that come to mind - David McWilliams if you like economics, Eamon Dunphy if you like politics, depends what you're interested in.

Actually you mention mental health on your list, Blindboy is surprisingly good on that topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

My go to podcast is Radiolab - https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/radiolab

I also listen to "Here's the Thing" by Alec Baldwin. - https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/heresthething

I dip my toe into Armchair Expert. This is done by Dax Sheppard. He gets really big names on his podcasts. I'm not the biggest fan of his style but some friends are. Maybe he will grow on me. - https://armchairexpertpod.com/pods

The Memory Palace . These are short history podcasts. They are done in a way like you are there at while the event is happening. The good thing is , as they are short, you don't feel like you have wasted a load of time if the topic wasn't to your taste. Here is a good one on the Vietnam Draft. - https://thememorypalace.us/2016/08/numbers/

I have others but the amount of episodes between the 4 above would keep you going for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Blindboy boatclub podcast is really good, I listen to it at night when im going to sleep. His newest one is really interesting, he speaks to a quantum physicist.

Ultrflat wrote: »
    What I'm wondering has any one got any pod casts they recommend it can be fashion, work, mental, health and attitude. So what I'm wondering has any one got any recommendation's for other pod casts?

Joe Rogan makes too much content for most people to listen to it all anyway. I listen to all of his stuff except when he has a comedian or a fighter on. The rest I can just about fit in.

I listen to Blindboy since so many boards users started bitching about him. I listened to find out why he was so bad - and actually found him worth listening to and I stuck with it.

Sam Harris has a podcast called "Making Sense". It varies between political themes and mental health. So perhaps is what you are looking for.

The comedian Des Bishop has a podcast about sex and sex related issues. Which is surprisingly not too bad.

One of my absolute favorites however is The Critter Shed - which is done by a guy in Dublin and a woman from Dublin zoo. Together they talk about all the wild life and insect life and arachnid life in Dublin and Ireland generally. And again it is surprising just how good it is.

On science and social and history and sometimes even literature topics I absolutely love the "No Dumb Questions" podcast. The two presenters have such a wonderful friendship however that I have found myself moved to tears by them sometimes.

While if you enjoy things like Bill Brysons book "The short history of nearly everything" you will likely love the podcast called "Brainfood" which is a podcast off shoot of a you tube channel called "Today I found out".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

Thanks, lads, some great examples? Of good people to listen to. Thank you :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

If you like Science then I highly recommend the futureproof podcast. It's on the Newstalk website.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

Abroad in Japan

English lad living in Japan talking about aspects of Japanese life and culture, very good, also has a youtube channel.

IRL - Online Life is Real Life

Internet privacy and news platform from Mozilla, hasn't been an episode in a while but there is a decent back catalogue to look through.

Making Sense with Sam Harris

Neuroscientist, philosopher and author. Interviews with people along the lines of Joe Rogan's show but can be a lot heavier in the topics discussed and can disappear down rabbit holes.

Ridiculous History

Great show about odd thing that have happened throughout history, mainly cover US based topics but do go international as well. Still good enough to keep you interested. Some examples of episodes:

That time the US literally banned sliced bread
    Pepsi briefly became the world's sixth largest navy
    'mad' jac churchill: the bagpipe playing soldier who hunted nazis with a long bow

Stuff You Should Know

Discussions on how this work, think of it as an audio version of the How stuff works website....because that is what it is.

The Joe Rogan Experience

I think this one doesn't really need an explaination.

The Rubin Report

Interview show, can get very political at times and he really has a bee in his bonnet about the far left, which can drag the episodes off topic at times, but a lot of interesting conversations to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Boss Of Bosses

Listened to The Nobody Zone.
    An interesting listen. Thought it might be a bit too dark for me but was very good and very well made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭5555555555

The Jocko Podcast - lessons on leadership , motivation, life - a gem

The Joe Rogan experience - already explained, such a wide range of guests and they get plenty of time to discuss their ideas

Kermode and Mayos Film review - if you enjoy film analysis/criticism

Elis James and John Robins - not normally my thing but these two comedians have had me in tears laughing at my desk in work

Monday Morning Podcast - listen to Bill Burr ranting about various things

Heard good things about The Stand with Eamonn Dunphy as well but have not gotten round to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Mainly listen to The 2 Johnnies podcast, the wellness hour with Pat Shortt, the nobody zone, the irish life down under, Gossipmongers and ive listened to a few of the Blarney Pilgrims podcasts too ep 38 and ep 14 which i thought were pretty well done but i reckon ill be dissapointed if i expect the rest of them to be as good as those two episodes.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

The Rewatchables-a film podcast from The Ringer crew,they rewatch filmls and discuss them from several different categroies.Did a 3 parter with Tarantino recently which I thought was excellent.

Mark Kermode-film reviews.

The Guardian Football weekly.

Totally Football Show.

Bill Burr Monday Morning Podcast,he discusses everything and anything.

Irish History Podcast.

Casefile-true crime.The 3 part series on Silk road is excellent.

Dan Carlins Hardcore History.

30 For 30-ESPN sports podacst similar to the documentary series they made.

I would dip in and out of all the above on a fairly regualr basis.Great way tokill the drive to work.

One more.

West Cork Podcast is brilliant.13 part series about the murder of Sophie Toscan du Plantier.

I think its exclusive to Audible but worth getting the free trial just to listen to it.

yabadabado wrote: »

Bill Burr Monday Morning Podcast,he discusses everything and anything.

Have you listen to him and burt kreischer podcast. It's quiet good also.

Ken. wrote: »
    Have you listen to him and burt kreischer podcast. It's quiet good also.

I have listened to it but not on a regular basis.

So much good stuff out there its hard keep up with them all.

yabadabado wrote: »
    I have listened to it but not on a regular basis.

So much good stuff out there its hard keep up with them all.

So true.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

Listen to Blindboy a lot, each week and some older podcasts in between the Wednesday release.

Art of Manliness. 600+ episodes with a good mix of stuff. Two weekly interviews with authors about their area (and associated book) on a range of topics, some quite manly ones!

Just started in to Joe Rogan on YouTube. I've watched the first of 5 interviews with Jordan Peterson. I like the podcast but not sure if it's Joe himself or just that the conversation is allowed to flow and not be cut off by time restrictions.

Cautionary Tales. Stories of human error and catastrophes, good production and some thought provoking tales. No new episodes for a while though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

The Irish History podcast is another good one, the podcasts can be quite short which is annoying as theyre very engaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

source wrote: »
    Abroad in Japan

Never listened to a 'podcast' in my life. But; His you tube is probably my all time favourite treat of my subscriptions!

Can't really imagine how it would be, hearing, without Seeing. But, yeah ...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Some already mentioned.

Bill Burr. Really like his stuff and on the Thursday edition, he does 30 minutes and then he plays one from exactly 8 years previously. Still can be entertaining.
    Enjoy the Bill Burt one with Burt Kreischer but it took me a while to get used to Burt laughing manically at everything.

Eamonn Dunphys, The Stand if he has an interesting guest.

Blindboys can be very good but I wouldnt take some of his facts and figures as gospel. I like the way he could be 40 minutes in to the podcast and he would then start talking about what todays podcast is about.

BBC outlook do one a day and they can be short interesting stories with very little filler.

Also like The Irish History which I started from the beginning and was nice to follow it chronologically.

Touch base on second captains, and Woolys The GAA hour if theres an interesting sports angle.

Also listen occasionally to a couple dating focused ones and usually find them either bizarre, or depressing. No inbetween.

Brexitcast was v interesting throughout the last 3 years, even if it touched on propaganda at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

Joe Rogan - Just because he thinks the 9-5 live is ridiculous. Hope to pick up some inspiration to get out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Casefile.. crime ,some are hard to listen to,but like the genre,gripping. Spotify or most other places.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Casefile.. crime ,some are hard to listen to,but like the genre,gripping. Spotify or most other places.

Yesterdays release (part 1) was tough going at times

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Marcus-Aurelius

The Stand with Dunphy, The Daily, Stuff You Should Know, irish History Podcast, Blindboy and The OTB shows are on my list. Tend to catch snippets of Joe Rogan online...The podcast with Matthew Walker on sleep, found that to be v interesting, well worth a listen.

I enjoy some of Casefile but the hosts voice does grate on me after a while.

Not a podcast but the audio book "As You Wish" is fantastic.

I wouldn't usually be a fan of audio books but this is worth checking out.Its about the making of The Princess Bride and is narrated by Cary Elves and includes input from some of the main players.

Edit:sorry to go off topic ,but finished it earlier today and had to share the info !

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Tunsil

My go to podcast is Radiolab -

I also listen to "Here's the Thing" by Alec Baldwin. -

I dip my toe into Armchair Expert. This is done by Dax Sheppard. He gets really big names on his podcasts. I'm not the biggest fan of his style but some friends are. Maybe he will grow on me. -

The Memory Palace . These are short history podcasts. They are done in a way like you are there at while the event is happening. The good thing is , as they are short, you don't feel like you have wasted a load of time if the topic wasn't to your taste. Here is a good one on the Vietnam Draft. -

I have others but the amount of episodes between the 4 above would keep you going for months.

Thanks for these recs. Those all sound like solid listening and I haven't really heard of any of them.

Just listened to a few of Burt Kreischer's podcasts. He is very talk happy. Doesn't let his guests get a word in edgeways and is asking a new question before the guest has a chance to answer the previous. It's a tough listen. He'd be better off doing a podcast with no guests like Bill Burr. I like Burt when he's a guest on other podcasts but this is torture.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Ken. wrote: »
    Just listened to a few of Burt Kreischer's podcasts. He is very talk happy. Doesn't let his guests get a word in edgeways and is asking a new question before the guest has a chance to answer the previous. It's a tough listen. He'd be better off doing a podcast with no guests like Bill Burr. I like Burt when he's a guest on other podcasts but this is torture.

It's very clear on the one he does with Burr who is better at it.
    Took me a while to settle in to them, as I said above I found Bert laughing at everything a bit much but maybe I'm just used to it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Anyone listening to 'The 2 Johnnies Podcast'? I started from the start and about 20 episodes in (started in 2018) and finding in good lighthearted culchie fun. Wasn't the biggest fan of the Noel Furlong segments but its growing on me slowly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Klonker wrote: »
    Anyone listening to 'The 2 Johnnies Podcast'? I started from the start and about 20 episodes in (started in 2018) and finding in good lighthearted culchie fun. Wasn't the biggest fan of the Noel Furlong segments but its growing on me slowly.

I'm working backwards on them. Good fun indeed but the Noel Furlong bit is shìte....I normally skip straight past it.

Advertisement