Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changed from days to nights due to health issue and I've been stuck with bad hours

Options
  • 03-04-2020 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

Part time shop assistant (weekends while in college), I've been full time for the past while given the current situation.

I've been moved to nights because I have asthma.

That's fine, I'd rather nights.
    But I went from 6 days a week to 3 days spread out.. My sleep schedule is going to go down the toilet.

The guy who swapped with me was working 5 nights a week..

Last week everyone on nights had 5 nights, this coming week 1 has 5, 2 have 4 and I have 3..
    The two with 4 nights have them in a row..

I know it's a small thing but I don't want to get shafted with this long term.

But I'm also worried about saying anything because my 6 month review is up soon, and I'd like to stay working here.
    Should I say something? If so, how?

I'm thinking of just sucking it up for this week and maybe saying something towards the end of the week or if I'm still down for these hours next week.

I want more hours, or at least hours that are together..

I wouldn't mind either but 2 of the guys on nights are only their a month, I'm here 5.

I know it's quite trivial given the current situation but I'm still going to end up an insomniac as a result, nights aren't going to be curtailed any time soon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Peterlo

Hi, I don't really have an answer to your problem. But at least your employer is taking your health in consideration in putting you on nights.

My employer doesn't appear to be as considerate. I have someone at home who because of their immune suppressant medication is in the high risk of serious illness if they contact Covid-19 and has to cocoon at home.

I work in a care residential organisation who are insisting I work on the floor with the clients, personal care, feeding etc, despite the fact that have other roles where I could work with some social distancing and avoid the risk of contacting it myself and bringing it home to my son.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭MrMiata

Peterlo wrote: »
    Hi, I don't really have an answer to your problem. But at least your employer is taking your health in consideration in putting you on nights.

My employer doesn't appear to be as considerate. I have someone at home who because of their immune suppressant medication is in the high risk of serious illness if they contact Covid-19 and has to cocoon at home.

I work in a care residential organisation who are insisting I work on the floor with the clients, personal care, feeding etc, despite the fact that have other roles where I could work with some social distancing and avoid the risk of contacting it myself and bringing it home to my son.

I think a lot (if not all of that) is down to my supervisor, she's great.

There's a girl at work who was also put on nights because a family member is immunosuppressed so maybe I should be giving them more credit than I am..

That sounds like a horrible boss from your situation, I don't understand how they can expect you to come to work given the current situation, unless they don't understand the severity of they whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭the14thwarrior

I wonder if you have had a chat with whoever is doing the schedule, and see what that brings. the situation is new, so it has not been going on that long.
    just ask for extra hours, and see what the story is.

there may be a variety of reasons, or no reason at all for the disparity in hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭MrMiata

I wonder if you have had a chat with whoever is doing the schedule, and see what that brings. the situation is new, so it has not been going on that long.
    just ask for extra hours, and see what the story is.

there may be a variety of reasons, or no reason at all for the disparity in hours.

That would have been my go to but she has been working from home for the past while so I can only communicate with her via email.

It's fine but it doesn't really work for discussions, so I would essentially have to ask for x, y and z and she'll either say yes or no, there's no real bargaining or convincing..

My parents have said to just ask for extra hours but I know that'll end with me getting the sh*tty end of a different stick, they'll flip and change my hours each week to suit themselves, so I'd end up 1 day on 1 day off or something to that affect.

They're notorious for doing this type of crap, a lot of full timers have complained too.
    They've gone from 5 days a week for over a year to 3.5 days one week out of the blue, or specifically asking for x day off and being stuck down for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Peterlo

MrMiata wrote: »
    I think a lot (if not all of that) is down to my supervisor, she's great.

There's a girl at work who was also put on nights because a family member is immunosuppressed so maybe I should be giving them more credit than I am..

That sounds like a horrible boss from your situation, I don't understand how they can expect you to come to work given the current situation, unless they don't understand the severity of they whole thing.

Apparently they don't have as I am ok myself for work, even though my doctor gave me a note for them to advise I do the other duties.

They said the same to a female colleague who looks after her 92yr old mother who lives at home with her and her husband.

• Advertisement
Advertisement