Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worked two jobs - Did taxman get me caught?

Options
  • 03-04-2020 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, long time boards user, I've decided to preserve my anonymity.

In 2017, I started working in a €12 an hour (paid weekly) job A for about 2 months. I started a job B in July 2017 with another employer with annual salary €28000. I signed a contract with new job saying i'd inform them of any additional work as I'd need to agree with manager & aggregate hours would be less than maximum under law. However, after 2 weeks in new job B I still hadn't left the old job A, because I needed a weekly paid job for rent. I didn't tell my new boss that I worked in the old job A.

Since then, I've worked about 3 hours per week in old job A, and full Monday - Friday in new job B. The additional 40 quid I earn from old job is nice for small things & I didn't mind helping out. However, the new boss (3 years in job A now), still doesn't know I've been working in the old job B.

I've recently been kept on in job B for coronavirus & even got a raise (I know I'm lucky), so I decided it was time to leave job A. I didn't want to increase my chances of getting virus for a few pound.

Sorry for the long story, now the issue! I gave my notice in last week to job A & they've cancelled my tax on revenue. However, according to the Tax Credit Certificate, my new employer will be informed my tax band has changed. I'd thought from previous threads on here that I could double-job without much interest from Job B, provided my hours were still low. I'm worried now the paying office people will realise I've a tax difference and out me to the boss? Do you think this is likely?

Futhermore, I want to manage my taxes from 2017-2020 as I've been paying 25% of credits to Job A & 75% to Job B. I just realised, I paid 8% tax on 8000 euro from Job B because my credits were wrong.

Can you manually adjust credits from years previous? If so , would Job B know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Maybe you have discovered the answer for others benefit... employer B doesn't know about A. They will get changes to your tax credits for their payroll but these aren't tied into specific reasons.
    E.g. if married, you could allocate more or less of your bands to your income. That triggers Revenue to update your employer to change the tax calculations on their payroll. No reason is give as to whether or not its from additional job income or simply becuase your other half is earning more and you could use the benefit of the extra band.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,849 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

B's payroll will see a change to your tax credits. They won't know why. And you don't have to tell them. If they ask, just say vaguely that you discovered that Revenue made a mistake with your student fees or something, and that it's now been fixed. Then change the subject. (They are very unlikely to ask, as it's usually only the payroll person who sees your after-tax pay.)

You don't manually adjust credits from previous years. Instead you can review your taxes through MyAccount on www.revenue.ie and request a refund if one is due. Your employers will not know

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Hi all, long time boards user, I've decided to preserve my anonymity.

In 2017, I started working in a €12 an hour (paid weekly) job A for about 2 months. I started a job B in July 2017 with another employer with annual salary €28000. I signed a contract with new job saying i'd inform them of any additional work as I'd need to agree with manager & aggregate hours would be less than maximum under law. However, after 2 weeks in new job B I still hadn't left the old job A, because I needed a weekly paid job for rent. I didn't tell my new boss that I worked in the old job A.

Since then, I've worked about 3 hours per week in old job A, and full Monday - Friday in new job B. The additional 40 quid I earn from old job is nice for small things & I didn't mind helping out. However, the new boss (3 years in job A now), still doesn't know I've been working in the old job B.

I've recently been kept on in job B for coronavirus & even got a raise (I know I'm lucky), so I decided it was time to leave job A. I didn't want to increase my chances of getting virus for a few pound.

Sorry for the long story, now the issue! I gave my notice in last week to job A & they've cancelled my tax on revenue. However, according to the Tax Credit Certificate, my new employer will be informed my tax band has changed. I'd thought from previous threads on here that I could double-job without much interest from Job B, provided my hours were still low. I'm worried now the paying office people will realise I've a tax difference and out me to the boss? Do you think this is likely?

Futhermore, I want to manage my taxes from 2017-2020 as I've been paying 25% of credits to Job A & 75% to Job B. I just realised, I paid 8% tax on 8000 euro from Job B because my credits were wrong.

Can you manually adjust credits from years previous? If so , would Job B know?

1. Firstly your bosses main concern would be the legal requirement. Under the organisation of working time act 1997 as amended you can work a maximum of 48 hour per week averaged over 3 month (for most jobs). By the sound of it you worked on average 42/43 per week. There is also issues with daily and weekly rest periods however as your second job was only 3 hours, it unlikely to make an over all different.

2. If you have left one of the jobs, Its a bit late to be worrying about it. (This is the eqv of smoking at a petrol station and being concern after putting the cig out - your timing is off)

3. The employer version of the Tax Credit Certificate only states your credits/bands for the individual employment and there is a lots of reasons they change, including revenue adjustment for under paid tax or social welfare payments. If your married, more so as your credit and band would be split unevenly with your partner.. In short payroll staff can't assume your are/were working elsewhere or that you are/were doing something wrong. Its unlikely they will say anything because its your tax affairs and its none of their business but if they did mention it to you, you just say thanks for letting me know, Ill check it out with Revenue.

4. You dont adjust previous years, you request a statement of Liability (formerly known as a P21). No, your employer won't know because its your Tax Affairs and none of their business.

5. If you have a revenue My Account, log in and click "Manage my Tax 2016-2019" and request a Statement of Liability for each year. This will automatically calculate your total income, total tax liability, total tax credits etc and tell you if you under/over paid tax in that year. You will also be able to put in your bank details for a Tax Refund if owed to you.

Advertisement