Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GoMo Premium Messages

Options
  • 03-04-2020 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hi,

We have three GoMo accounts. My son's phone is receiving premium messages that (he swears) weren't requested and aren't being opened. This resulted in 30 EUR of charges this month. I have contacted GoMo and am waiting for a response.

Has anybody else had this issue? Can premium numbers be blocked?

Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭FluffPiece

Yes had this recently on 1 of my sims.

You need to contact gomo support to block the numbers and texts. Just request that all premium stuff is blocked on all your sims.

If you have 2 accounts with 2 sims, you will need to login and it request it on both accounts. The options to do it yourself is greyed out on the website so you need to send it as a web chat / request.

You will need to contact the company directly for a refund. I'm on the phone atm but I can login to the desktop in a while and post the relevant steps then. I did receive a refund in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭radiofoot

Thanks Fluffpiece, would be a great help if you can post the steps.

well first step is to definitely get on to GoMo support and block the premium numbers and sms. Reason being is you are only seeing that bill and the next bill could include some charges as well that you won't be aware of until it arrives. So have the request sent now to block ALL premium services on all your accounts.

GoMo won't refund you as they will say you have signed up for these services. I'm going to assume the premium number you are being billed for is 57721?

If so they will tell you to email customercare@mgage.com . This company hold the licence but sub let it as such. Prob not the correct terms but it's the easiest way I can explain it at this time. I sent an email to this address and requested the contact information. I received an email back from them telling me exactly which company billed me. ( a few companies use this 57721 number )

As well as providing me with the contact details, they also forwarded the request to the company that charged me. In my case, a company called Domicoins charged me for services. They offered a refund and asked for my bank details or paypal details, I provided some and received a refund about a few days later.

My original email I sent to kickstart the process;

customercare@mgage.com

I believe your company or a company that has signed a lease agreement for the premium number 57721, has charged for SMS premium texts to the phone number below. Please note, I have not signed up to any services, nor have I received any SMS to date to my phone, but have been billed as having received a service.

The phone number billed was 085 XXX XXXX

I require the full contact information to follow up on a request for a full refund.

Kind regards,
    Fluffpiece

There's a few emails involved but fairly straight forward to follow.

Whole process from my initial email was 16th March to receiving a refund to Revolut on 24th March and no complications.

Thanks, much appreciated. Only difference for me is that my son did receive SMS messages, although he didn't request them. I will send them an email now.

• Advertisement

No problem. The longest part initially was me contacting GoMo shortly after receiving the bill and querying the charges, once I got the info of who to the send the email to, I did so on the 16th and had the refund on 24th. So hopefully you get a speedy resolution too.

They did ask me to confirm email etc but as I said earlier, any emails you receive should be fairly straight forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 hart2hart

Hi, I got my Gomo bill today and there's a charge for an international SMS to Zimbabwe. I certainly didn't send it and I have a query in with the customer support. Has anyone else had this issue?

Just to round this off for anyone else with this issue, GoMo directed me to https://servicechecker.comreg.ie/Find/Index?q=57977&p=1 to find the email address from which to request the refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

FluffPiece wrote: »
    Yes had this recently on 1 of my sims.

You need to contact gomo support to block the numbers and texts. Just request that all premium stuff is blocked on all your sims

So all premium numbers can be blocked BEFORE anything untoward happens?

So all premium numbers can be blocked BEFORE anything untoward happens?

appears so, but you can't do it yourself on the GoMo website, you need to contact customer support to request it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

I have 4 gomo sims.

On the right hand side of the gomo.ie homepage is a chat link. I asked them to block all premiums, in and out. It was confirmed by text message to each phone within one minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

I have 4 gomo sims.

On the right hand side of the gomo.ie homepage is a chat link. I asked them to block all premiums, in and out. It was confirmed by text message to each phone within one minute.

Oddly, I do not see a chat option. Using Chrome browser.

degsie wrote: »
    Oddly, I do not see a chat option. Using Chrome browser.
    Someone else said that on another thread.
    I think it is only there when they are online. It is a bubble that appears on the right hand side of the home page.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Consey

Thanks folks for this one. Good to know and dealt with quickly on the chat (on right hand side of screen under MyGoMo). Have a bit of a fear about costs being racked up that I or indeed my family members don't know about on Gomo since I took two family sims off Tesco Mobile Pay as You Go. Are there any more that could happen that people have come across?

Thanks again.
    Someone else said that on another thread.
    I think it is only there when they are online. It is a bubble that appears on the right hand side of the home page.

Consey wrote: »
    Thanks folks for this one. Good to know and dealt with quickly on the chat (on right hand side of screen under MyGoMo). Have a bit of a fear about costs being racked up that I or indeed my family members don't know about on Gomo since I took two family sims off Tesco Mobile Pay as You Go. Are there any more that could happen that people have come across?

Thanks again.

Great stuff. For anyone else looking, this is it on the right, only when they are online.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Gc9K_PFDLpZBmFjrs6qyGlmZnDIXVqGG/view?usp=sharing

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Firebird on the Run

radiofoot wrote: »
    Just to round this off for anyone else with this issue, GoMo directed me to https://servicechecker.comreg.ie/Find/Index?q=57977&p=1 to find the email address from which to request the refund.

Hi I have the same problem and I have received some texts. The first text says if you want to subscription reply such and such to this number to wich I never replied, I actually never saw it until few days later. Yet I received three consecutive texts at tge same time as that one. I have been in contact with the company and they are insisting that I have subscribed, and the date and hour of the subscription is exactly the same as when I received all those four texts. I sent them the details of my sent messages and calls on my bill which proves that I never contacted them or replied to them to subscribe. Buy they say they have proof I have subscribed. They offered me to refund half of the money emphasizing I'm not entitled to anything and that is a good gesture.
    At this point more than money my problem is that how I was subscribed. So I don't know will I just accept the offer or get to ComReg, because I'm pretty sure I didn't subscribe and shouldn't have received any of the texts. I live on my own and at the time I was self isolating so noone had access to my phone. But I don't know I can prove that to ComReg.
    Any suggestions or advice? Has anyone ever escalate their issue to ComReg?
    (I was charged €15 and they're offering €7.50)

I may add that three years ago with the same number I subscribed to enter ta chance to win vouchers. I had no idea how they worked and thought that was a one time thing, so I lost about€45 to that. I got to them and unsubscribed and it was resolved. I didn't even complain as it was my mistake. So I never had any issues until this happened, and I know for sure because of that experience it is impossible that I mistakenly have subscribed or anything. It was a different company but the premium number is the same.
    Shall Iet them off and get the money or chance it and get to ComReg? I can't make up my mind on that.
    Any help or advise much appreciated.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭nailer54321

I had this problem years ago, I was with vodafone at the time and to say they were unhelpful would be an inderstatement, I could only trace this back to when i entered a compitition to when all this started. I never gave consent to get further txt but started to receive them from a few different nimbers, ftom memory you do not even have to open these txt to get charged. Eventually contacted comreg and they sorted everything out for me even getting a refund. As i saud at tbe time i was with vodafone snd they could not even block tbe numbers for me, neadless to say i am no longer a vodafone customer and never will be. What comreg told me was a lot of these premium numbers are owned by tbe same company so you have to find out tbe company and get them to stop all tbere numbers not just tbe one you are receiving at the moment orelse they will just start sendind you messages from different numbers. Comreg were great and sorted all this for me at the time so dont hesatate to contact them if your phone provider say they cant help you. A lot of these txt start from compititions you enter so always be very careful when entering these compitions

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

@Firebird on the Run
    Buy they say they have proof I have subscribed.
    Have you requested the proof from them?

I would be inclined to ask for the proof, and tell them if they cannot provide it immediately you will take the matter up with ComReg.

In truth the €7.50 is not going to make any difference to you, but getting this sorted properly would.

My 2c is all .....

I had this problem years ago, I was with vodafone at the time and to say they were unhelpful would be an inderstatement, I could only trace this back to when i entered a compitition to when all this started. I never gave consent to get further txt but started to receive them from a few different nimbers, ftom memory you do not even have to open these txt to get charged. Eventually contacted comreg and they sorted everything out for me even getting a refund. As i saud at tbe time i was with vodafone snd they could not even block tbe numbers for me, neadless to say i am no longer a vodafone customer and never will be. What comreg told me was a lot of these premium numbers are owned by tbe same company so you have to find out tbe company and get them to stop all tbere numbers not just tbe one you are receiving at the moment orelse they will just start sendind you messages from different numbers. Comreg were great and sorted all this for me at the time so dont hesatate to contact them if your phone provider say they cant help you. A lot of these txt start from compititions you enter so always be very careful when entering these compitions
    Yeah the only competition I entered lately was late late show, but I doubt that ithas anything to do with this. These have me subscribed without my consent and now they say that you were subscribed so you have to pay. But didn't answer me as to how I was subscribed? Like have I sent them a text or called them or what? Cause I didn't

@Firebird on the Run

Have you requested the proof from them?

I would be inclined to ask for the proof, and tell them if they cannot provide it immediately you will take the matter up with ComReg.

In truth the €7.50 is not going to make any difference to you, but getting this sorted properly would.

They said they have a proof and attached this. This apparently shows I was subscribed yet doesn't show how or why (by text or call or going to a link or what). I can't make sense out of the proof the sent, only first part is exactly the date and hour of the fist text they sent to me (which read as if you want to subscribe reply APP to this number). So they subscribed me upon sending the texts to me with out me applying or confirming it.
    The very first text was this "To subscribe to MobiHub for UNLIMITED ACCESS for 7.50EUR/week (3x2.50 EUR/msg) and confirm you are over 18 yrs, reply APP to to this message!" to which I never replied, and I actually saw it the next day. The other three text as shown in my bill are at the same time as this and time shown in the proof they sent. Then I got another three text few days later, and it was only then that I realized they're getting money off me cause I missed all these text, hadn't open them till then.
    So they say that the messages are clear and that I have subscribed. But my point is that how I was subscribed while I never replied to that first text (and why I received that first text).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭nailer54321

As i said a lot of these premium numbers are all linked and owned by the same company, so if you unsubscribe to one your number just gets passed on to the next one so it is very important to find out who these numbers are coming from so you can unsubscribe to all of them, comreg will help you out with this. As a rule now i will never enter any compititions, thats how they seem to catch a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭tphase

Yeah the only competition I entered lately was late late show, but I doubt that it has anything to do with this.
    some years my missus started getting premium texts (which she of course completely ignored for ages). Prior to getting those texts, she entered a Late Late show competition - never entered any form of text competition before or since. I don't doubt that is exactly how she got signed up.

Just a quick update in case anyone is wondering or having the same problem, so after they sent that pic as a "proof" I replied back and said that the exact time on that basically proves my point and shows I was subscribed upon receiving the texts, and that means they sent me a text and without my approval or permission did subscribe me. So I asked for a complaint reference number and emphasized that I wanted to escalate it to ComReg to see how it happened and to make sue it won't happen again. Then they replied with the same proof repeating that I was subscribed successfully and that's why I got the texts, etc. but also mentioned that their manager now has approved the full refund. And then they sent me the full refund.
    Thanks everyone for your advice!

Advertisement