Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horrid Smell (Hansfield / Ongar Area)

Options
  • 02-04-2020 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

Anyone know what the disgusting smell is the last 2 days around Hansfield Train station, the house wreaks and it would knock you out if you open the window or go outside :eek:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Slurry I'd say, the country is swimming in the stuff over the last week or 2, but at least a bit of rain is on the way so that'll dampen down the pong a good bit..

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

Its carrying right down the Ongar Rd now too, first I knew was the kids squabbling over who was the stinker that used the upstairs bathroom :D I went up and nearly keeled over, the bang of Farm Animal Assholes was stomach turning. Was at least relieved that it was coming in the open windows and it wasn't one of the children. Its horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jammyd

I think its Pig Slurry which is the worst - on top of the dry weather which is making it worse... the whole place stinks, of course am sure the farmers need to do it for crops etc but I don't think we've ever had it this bad seems much stronger than anytime before you'd be knocked out with it once you open a door or window!! surely theres some laws on proximity of spread to residential areas i would have thought ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

The houses have got closer to the farms not the other way around.
    The farmer is doing what he has always done just there are now people living within the nosezone..

ongarite wrote: »
    The houses have got closer to the farms not the other way around.
    The farmer is doing what he has always done just there are now people living within the nosezone..

Yeah very true!! won't be much farmland in the next years when the Barberstown site starts after they have finished squeezing out their profits on the Hansfield lands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

Slurry especially pig slurry is fairly smelly. Before industrialised pig production in Ireland circa 1960s/70s, the pigs would be kept on solid floor mixed with straw. The pig manure /straw mix when spread would be less airborne(more solid) but still smell a bit. If you want any pork related product you have to put up with the smell around this time of year. And if you want cheap pork products you have to put up with the industrialization of farming. So basically suck it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Caught it yesterday driving down the back road from Clonee to Ongar on my way to work and nearly passed out with the smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

In fairness to the vast majority of Farmers, they usually do not spread Slurry until the forecast is for rain within the next 24 hours.
    Funnily enough I enjoy the waft of that fine Agricultural Smell and I’m a Dub!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Funny, I strolled up and around Hansfield station yesterday evening and all I got was the sweet smell from the bakery beyond Hansfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,824 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Similar complaint every year around this time in the 12 years I've been here, to a greater or lesser extent depending on the amount of rain.

Its a small price to pay for being the beneficiaries of all that lovely fresh rural air on our doorstep all year round. Incidentally, whatever new developments are in the pipeline won't cancel out the thousands of acres in Kildare and Meath fertilised by slurry just a couple of kms away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭raheny red

I could get a waft of it in the Corduff area around lunch time. Could only imagine what it was like in Ongar.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

As said already, seems to happen every year, but we thought it was pretty intense this time around.

As said already, seems to happen every year, but we thought it was pretty intense this time around.

Likewise! seems to have died down thankfully over the last few days - back to the heavenly fresh bread smell / dust and dirt from all the nearby construction sites :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

I feel the reason it was noticeable this year, is because the vast majority of us are spending most of our time at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭avalidusername

It's the same every year, farmers can only spread slurry when there's dry weather forecast, otherwise it washes into the rivers/canals and makes sh1t of everything there.

There seems to be 2 different streams of the smell in my 19+ years working in Damastown Industrial Estate, one comes from the Kilbride direction in a few weeks, the current one is from the Lucan/Leixlip direction.

From what I've been told by the countryside lads in work, the really sweet smelling awful one is pigsh1te. There was an incredibly awful one last year, it literally smelled like dog sh1te, but I've no idea what it actually was.

Yes I checked my shoes and I wasn't after dragging sh1te in before anyone asks!

Advertisement