Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My coworkers are going to be annoyed with me, how can I fix things?

Options
  • 01-04-2020 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

This is a long story, I don't know how I can shorten it so apologies in advance.

I work part time in a supermarket while at college, but I'm putting in 50+ hours a week given the current situation.

I'm working days, most part timers have been moved to nights.. so I'm run ragged during the day, it's usually just me on and so I'm getting the coal, briquettes and trolleys while helping customers and stocking my section.

I mentioned in passing/joking with a supervisor that I have asthma (I was joking about taking a sick day when I knew we would be very busy), she said I shouldn't be working with asthma.
    I explained how it's very mild and that I'd be fine/take precautions.

A few days later she rang work (on her day off) to say I shouldn't be working with my asthma, and that she'd rather if I got a doctors note/went out sick.

So I spoke with my GP, he said take a week off and I mentioned how there's a team working nights (no contact with public), he said that would be better for me and so he recommended in my cert that I be moved to nights/non customer facing roles.

I told my supervisor who said she'd make it happen.

That means someone on nights is going to be moved to days.
    No one wants that.
    Nights are better paid, shorter hours, no customers, no uniforms, no crappy music and no other distractions.

So someone is going to be annoyed that they have to move, which is understandable.

The thing is there's a girl at work who I get along well with, we're constantly chatting/flirting and I know the guys will think I'm making the change to be closer to her.

I was the one who told her to ask for nights (she's worried about catching covid), and that was before I knew I'd be moving to nights.

So they're just going to think I'm doing this to follow her, when in reality it's because my supervisor didn't want me working, due to my asthma and so I've been moved.. Doesn't really matter, they'll call b*ll****.

I told one of the guys how my parents wanted me to move to nights (asthma), so he was already thinking it's because of her..
    He asked if I looked to change and I said no, but then this whole thing happened and now I'm being moved.

Being totally honest, this works out for me, I want to go on nights for a number of reasons, but I don't want them thinking that because then it won't just be the one who's moved who'll be p*ssed, they all will be.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I dont mean to be dismissive OP but you are way overthinking this, I would just get on with it tbh

Your supervisor and GP have both recommended thid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

You're at college. This is not your life-long career. Stop over thinking this, and every minor little insignificant thing that will happen to you in the future. It will age you before your time.

Best of luck and I hope you get the shift (obviously after social distancing restrictions have been lifted!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭MrMiata

Stheno wrote: »
    I dont mean to be dismissive OP but you are way overthinking this, I would just get on with it tbh

Your supervisor and GP have both recommended thid

I know, you're probably right.

But I'm still going to have to work with them and they're still going to think I had ulterior motives.

So it'll look like I forced their hand by saying I can't work days due to my asthma.

Especially since I told one of the guys how my parents want me to go on nights.
    He's thinking I asked, was told no and then I pulled this.

heldel00 wrote: »
    You're at college. This is not your life-long career. Stop over thinking this, and every minor little insignificant thing that will happen to you in the future. It will age you before your time.

Best of luck and I hope you get the shift (obviously after social distancing restrictions have been lifted!)

Thanks, I know it's minor but I still have to work with them for the foreseeable future, they're my friends, we usually get along very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

With all due respect, your work are hardly going to move you to nights just so you can be closer to some girl now are they??? So what are your co workers going to think... he must have said I want to move to nights so as I can still be with said girl..no, no they ate not... you are being moved by your job because you have a medical condition simple as that. If they don’t believe you then take a photocopy of the doctors note but in all seriousness no one is going to think you were moved for spurious reasons as your job would not accommodate that... they will accommodate a move for medical reasons which is what they have done.... don’t be worrying about it and just get on with the job in hand.
    Simples !!!!

• Advertisement

With all due respect, your work are hardly going to move you to nights just so you can be closer to some girl now are they??? So what are your co workers going to think... he must have said I want to move to nights so as I can still be with said girl..no, no they ate not... you are being moved by your job because you have a medical condition simple as that. If they don’t believe you then take a photocopy of the doctors note but in all seriousness no one is going to think you were moved for spurious reasons as your job would not accommodate that... they will accommodate a move for medical reasons which is what they have done.... don’t be worrying about it and just get on with the job in hand.
    Simples !!!!

No they wouldn't but the lads will think I asked to be moved because of her, as stupid as it sounds.

The other fact is nights are far nicer than days, so even if they don't think it's due to a girl, they'll see it as me forcing their hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You probably shouldn't be working at all....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

Look, this is an unprecedented life or death situation. Its not a time quite frankly for worrying about what someone else thinks of what you are doing under doctors advice. I have asthma myself - you need to be careful with it. yes it might be mild and generally under control, mine is too but the fact that you have it means that you are at risk and also that things such as the virus can and will affect it. I had difficulty breathing as part of a reaction to medication the other day which is no doubt related to the asthma.

if anyone opens their mouth simply say my GP and supervisor are moving me to nights due to my underlying health condition. Also, consider saying thank you to your supervisor - she took the actions she did because she cares about your health - thats a good person.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I guarantee your colleagues spend far less time thinking anything about you never mind second guessing your motives than you realise.

Get on with it and forget worrying what anyone else may or may not think about you. Even to the one person who will get moved to Days you will not be in the top 10 worry's they have right now.

Advertisement