Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you go fishing ?

Options
  • 01-04-2020 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭

Can you go fishing if the river is within 2km from your home and you’ll be going alone ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

angela1711 wrote: »
    Can you go fishing if the river is within 2km from your home and you’ll be going alone ?

If you have to ask the question then I think you know the answer. You’re allowed out for 1 hour of exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭angela1711

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    If you have to ask the question then I think you know the answer. You’re allowed out for 1 hour of exercise.

Where does it say that you are only allowed to go outside for an hour ? Never heard of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,836 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I honestly don't see any issue if you have permission to fish there and are experienced on that particular stretch.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Where does it say that you are only allowed to go outside for an hour ? Never heard of this.

He's thinking of solitary confinement in prison I'd say.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭.red.

I've been asking myself the same question all day. I've a tub of worms that I bought 3 weeks ago and their still alive.
    The patch I'd fish is well within the 2km radius and while I think I'd be ok, I'm not so sure. The last thing I'd want is to be seen and having the guards come up to me when they have better things to be doing.

• Advertisement

.red. wrote: »
    I've been asking myself the same question all day. I've a tub of worms that I bought 3 weeks ago and their still alive.
    The patch I'd fish is well within the 2km radius and while I think I'd be ok, I'm not so sure. The last thing I'd want is to be seen and having the guards come up to me when they have better things to be doing.

Ring the IFI if you are in any doubt.

You can keep those worms alive and growing and even multiplying in the right conditions which is very easy to do.

Apologies, got the 1 hour thing mixed up with elsewhere.
    Here’s a link to the rules; https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/cf9b0d-new-public-health-measures-effective-now-to-prevent-further-spread-o/

Now if you wish to go fishing and call it your exercise that’s up to you. 90% of the anglers I talk to are in agreement that fishing is out.

I have a river 20 metres from my back door but I’m not fishing. It’s not just about distancing from others, it’s also about reducing pressure on hospitals. If you have an accident and need hospital care that’s a lot of resources being used up that are badly needed elsewhere.

You want my honest opinion? Grow up and stop looking for loopholes.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

I have some medical conditions so I've been home for the last 3 weeks (perhaps 4 - I've lost count). I was considering this question in the last few weeks but the points people made was... if you have an accident, either in the car om the way or if you simply slip in... who could help? If a good Samaritan goes to your aid you put them at risk. If an ambulance were needed you are using resources that are already stretched.
    So as temping as it is, just watch some youtube videos, there are plenty to choose from!

I see now Bogwoppit has made the same point .. but I've already typed this so I'm still hitting POST! :)

Lads I have no intention of causing an argument, but I do want to point out that there is an awful lot more accidents happen in the home, especially from people attempting DIY, than there are of anyone getting out for a short walk and going for a cast on a local stretch of river that they are familiar with.

Fishing is good for the soul and might even provide a meal that would be much more safer and enjoyable to get than going to a supermarket or shop.

We all need to be extra cautious and aware in these unique times, that's a given, but common sense goes a long way.

Ok, you’re a big boy so you get to make up your own mind.

In case you didn’t click the link and read the rules put out by the HSE I’ll just copy and paste the first paragraph for you;

“There are exceptions for some workers in key businesses but for the majority of people, the rule is simple: Stay at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭angela1711

Thanks for the replies. I’ve asked the question on behalf of my husband a he doesn’t have a boards account. He had since rang whatever the fishing authority is and they told nope you are not allowed to go fishing and that they will be updating their website soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Probably fakebook or in the daily muck.

OP - I can't see any issue as fishing is mostly an individual pastime and also if you like it, good for your mental health

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I have been fishing a few times since the restrictions were put in place. I've a pier within the 2km and head there spinning for 20-25 minutes. All my fly fishing spots are well outside the 2km so fly rod is away until we get back to normal. I suppose that is my brief exercise outdoors since I'm working from home while trying to entertain children.

It's a bit of head space time for myself but I see there are differences in opinion as regards whether we should head out at all. To be honest, I think I'd have cracked without it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭boomdocker

each to their own
    I think it's fairly simple - stay at home except to go to the shops, if you are an essential worker etc..
    Apart from that, 2km max for exercise
    I'd love to head out to my local beat, esp as season opened on the !st April, but I won't - fishing is not exercise and it can wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

The IFI have issued guidelines this evening to say you can indeed use angling as your brief exercise subject to:

Fishing for a brief period means no more than an hour to an hour and a half

Fish in a location less than or equal to 2km from your home

Driving to fish is considered non-essential travel and therefore it is NOT APPROPRIATE for people to drive to a location whether within 2km or further from home for the purpose of fishing.

Fish only where you have permission to fish – do not enter into private fisheries

Use only legal methods

Where you intend to fish club waters, check that they are open for fishing ( even if they are within 2km, they may not be open).

Can't link as on the phone. Might clarify for some. Others may choose not to in any case but you can go subject to the above.

SeaFields wrote: »
    The IFI have issued guidelines this evening to say you can indeed use angling as your brief exercise subject to:

Fishing for a brief period means no more than an hour to an hour and a half

Fish in a location less than or equal to 2km from your home

Driving to fish is considered non-essential travel and therefore it is NOT APPROPRIATE for people to drive to a location whether within 2km or further from home for the purpose of fishing.

Fish only where you have permission to fish – do not enter into private fisheries

Use only legal methods

Where you intend to fish club waters, check that they are open for fishing ( even if they are within 2km, they may not be open).

Can't link as on the phone. Might clarify for some. Others may choose not to in any case but you can go subject to the above.

Nice to see common sense has prevailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

are the guards patrolling the rivers & lakes?? saw a few leisure cruisers on the shannon today hmmm

fryup wrote: »
    are the guards patrolling the rivers & lakes?? saw a few leisure cruisers on the shannon today hmmm

Sweet Jesus Christ in heaven please protect us in these troubled times.

fryup wrote: »

They were out on their patrol boat on derg a couple of days ago.

well it was on lough derg i saw these cruisers...should i report?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

If it’s within 2km from your home and you keep your distance from others then your doing nothing wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dmc17

Gael23 wrote: »
    If it’s within 2km from your home and you keep your distance from others then your doing nothing wrong

Coast Guard and RNLI asked people not to go out on the water to avoid the search and rescue crews being put at risk of exposure whilst rescuing people

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

dmc17 wrote: »
    Coast Guard and RNLI asked people not to go out on the water to avoid the search and rescue crews being put at risk of exposure whilst rescuing people

Never thought of that

now, there you go

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

On ree patrolling as well checking where people were travelling from anyone more than 2km from home were asked to leave that was friday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Great stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Canals and rivers controlled by Waterways Ireland are still closed for fishing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Better details here I'm happy enough we can travel up to 20 k soon enough

https://www.offthescaleangling.ie/news/covid19-angling-restrictions-ireland/

Advertisement