Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Supplements after 12 weeks

• 31-03-2020 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hey

I have suffered from acid reflux for years which has really flared up now in early pregnancy.

I was taking pregnacare max but I began to think it was making the reflux so I stopped taking it a few days ago and think it has helped.

I'm 12 weeks pregnant now at the minute I'm just taking folate and will get a d3 supplement. Just wondering what you ladies take/took after 12 weeks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I take the pregnacare plus. I took them all the way through and am still taking them.
    I take them just before I go to bed as I still have nausea/vomiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I could never take the pregnacare. Gave me terrible headaches on each pregnancy so I never persevered. Each time I was told it was absolutely fine not to take it. I just took folic acid and then iron (when bloods showed it necessary!).

Have a word with your consultant/midwife and see what they suggest you need take.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Nickibaby*

I take the pregnacare plus but make sure I take them with dinner and then after dinner take some gaviscon or rennies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I took Pregnacare during pregnancy and afterwards because of breastfeeding (and to finish my stash off). Please talk to your GP or midwife about your reflux. I was killed with indigestion from very early on in my last pregnancy, Rennie were useless and I drank so much Gaviscon, waking at night to drink it. I was prescribed medication at about 6 months pregnant and instantly went away.

I took Pregnacare during pregnancy and afterwards because of breastfeeding (and to finish my stash off). Please talk to your GP or midwife about your reflux. I was killed with indigestion from very early on in my last pregnancy, Rennie were useless and I drank so much Gaviscon, waking at night to drink it. I was prescribed medication at about 6 months pregnant and instantly went away.

+1 to this. I suffered needlessly through my first pregnancy. Gaviscon didn’t touch it. Got prescribed something early on in my other pregnancies and it was a game changer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Ardgorm

Thanks girls I am actually on omeprazole and it was still really bad at times.

I've in appointment with my consultant soon so I'll mention it to him aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

I also suffered through with gaviscon on my first. Am now on Omeprazole and it has made things SO much easier. I wish I had taken it first time around.

Re supplements, from what I know, as long as you've a healthy and balanced diet, nothing additonal should be required except folic acid for first twelve weeks then iron if needed in latter stages.

Ardgorm wrote: »
    Thanks girls I am actually on omeprazole and it was still really bad at times.

I've in appointment with my consultant soon so I'll mention it to him aswell

Do! I ended up on a combo of tablets including omeprazole with my last baba, it really made a huge difference so speak up, they’ll be able to help you out. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jessimoko24

All I was taking at the start was Folic acid. Doc told me not to take anything for a few months. Then since around 4 months I’m taking Pregnacare Max. (Now 6 months)
    I’ve suffered from acid reflux for the last few years which has gotten worse since getting pregnant.
    It bothers me most during the night and first thing in the morning. I try to drink lots of water which I think helps

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

All I was taking at the start was Folic acid. Doc told me not to take anything for a few months. Then since around 4 months I’m taking Pregnacare Max. (Now 6 months)
    I’ve suffered from acid reflux for the last few years which has gotten worse since getting pregnant.
    It bothers me most during the night and first thing in the morning. I try to drink lots of water which I think helps

Water, taking fybogel definitely helps too. But a script for something a bit more targeted is a game changer!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Ardgorm

Digs wrote: »
    Do! I ended up on a combo of tablets including omeprazole with my last baba, it really made a huge difference so speak up, they’ll be able to help you out. Good luck!

Thank you for that advice, it's back as bad as ever this evening again so maybe had nothing to do with the pregnacare after all.

I'm just scared to think if it's this bad now what I'm going to be like in a few months 😥

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭larrymickdick

I started eating silver mints or those crumbly after dinner mints from Marks when I had heart burn. Midwife in Rotunda said to be careful how much over the counter digestion remedies you take as they are still drugs. I stayed away from spicy food, coffee and chocolate and it helped a lot along with drinking peppermint tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

I started eating silver mints or those crumbly after dinner mints from Marks when I had heart burn. Midwife in Rotunda said to be careful how much over the counter digestion remedies you take as they are still drugs. I stayed away from spicy food, coffee and chocolate and it helped a lot along with drinking peppermint tea.

I was advised that normal gaviscon is completely safe, it’s just sits like a layer on top of the acid to stop of coming up. But can’t take gaviscon extra when pregnant due to the salt content I believe.

Advertisement