Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bikes you’ve grown to Love/Hate

Options
  • 31-03-2020 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭

As the title says, I was just thinking putting away my bike this evening that I’d really grown to like it, despite the fact a few months ago, it was going to be sold after having it just a few months (It’s a Lynskey Ti 460)

I suppose the bike I once had that I loved but grew to hate was an old model Trek 5500 which gave me so much trouble in the first few days, it ended up back with the seller..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

ckeego wrote: »
    As the title says, I was just thinking putting away my bike this evening that I’d really grown to like it, despite the fact a few months ago, it was going to be sold after having it just a few months (It’s a Lynskey Ti 460)

I suppose the bike I once had that I loved but grew to hate was an old model Trek 5500 which gave me so much trouble in the first few days, it ended up back with the seller..

So, everyone loves their bike?!

It was just a conversation starter, lads...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,361 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

can't say i have any biikes i've hated, certainly not ones i had a choice in (i'm referring to an old lump of pig iron i had when i was a kid, probably weighed more than i did).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

Probably only 1 bike I've grown to hate over the short time I had it. A scott foil, lovely to look at and wasn't too bad when I was on it. But any type of work on it was a pain, mainly the back brake down at the BB. It was so much hassle, constantly needed re-adjustment, would rub regularly enough. And even trying to upgrade the stock brake on the bike, none of the potential upgrades made it any easier. So was done with it and sold it, within 4 months of buying it. I'd never buy a bike with the Back brake down there again, just too much hassle.

Those lower mounted BB rear brakes look cool but from a maintenance point of view must be a nightmare.

Always thought they were designed to look at home on a test ride with an ex pro in Mallorca in the sun than on a pi€€y day in the Wicklow Gap.

Always thought Scotts were cracking bikes.

I had a Ribble a few years ago that was a rebranded De Rosa model. Noisiest rattles from an internal cable ever.. ‘Twas a fine looking bike that rode all so well, but the rattle was like Chinese water torture.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Those lower mounted BB rear brakes look cool but from a maintenance point of view must be a nightmare.

had a gt karakorum mtb with one back in the day, used to be a great mud collector

• Advertisement

had a gt karakorum mtb with one back in the day, used to be a great mud collector
    MTB with a lower brake?

Ouch

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,361 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my brother had one on his raleigh montage back in the late 80s.

It's been pretty much my experience with any integrated brakes. Give me simple to use and adjust stock brakes over brakes hidden in forks and with fairings any day.
    The only other bike I never took to was my genesis I sold to magicbastarder, only 2 short spins on it but just knew it wasn't for me, no idea why but from the start just never took to it. TCR on the other hand complete opposite, bought because of the stack and reach, match my numbers very close without needing lots of spacers or short stem, and loved it on the first spin. Looks of the bike have grown on me, but think some of that is me convincing myself after how well it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭beans

I've gone through periods of hating my saddle, which is a Brooks Swift that's around 10? years old. If circumstances force me to sit more upright, it sucks.

But on mornings like this one, clear roads and feeling good, I love it again.

I think first time on a new bike, especially a new type of bike, leaves something to be desired. I have a 26er BMX that I was super unsure about for a week or so. But I've never come to dislike any bike I've owned, always the opposite... that period of adjustment, then enjoying it for what it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I had a Ridley Compact that I never liked much, I could never get comfortable on it, I found it very uncomfortable on long rides and only had it 3 months when it was relegated to a winter trainer.

I sold it after a couple of years use and was glad to see the back of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

That's a shame about the Genesis joey, lots of love here for any of their models. I have on/off relationships with several of my bikes. It's often down to mood for me to be honest. They're all capable, all good for long hours in the saddle, with individual character, but to be honest one would be enough.

Sacrilege I know.

joey100 wrote: »
    The only other bike I never took to was my genesis I sold to magicbastarder, only 2 short spins on it but just knew it wasn't for me
    interestingly, i invested in a brooks b17 for it - which does suit the bike aesthetically - but i don't find it great for rides of longer than an hour or so. it's just a little too wide; despite the fact that it feels comfy when you hop on, it's not great for longer spins.

interestingly, i invested in a brooks b17 for it - which does suit the bike aesthetically - but i don't find it great for rides of longer than an hour or so. it's just a little too wide; despite the fact that it feels comfy when you hop on, it's not great for longer spins.

Always loved the look of Genesis bikes after seeing Martin Irvine win the Shay Elliott on one.

The other brand in that bracket that I love the look of is Condor.

joey - you bought that bike off another boardsie, IIRC? from another person living somewhere around NCD.

that's a interesting question - what bike has belonged to more boardsies than any other?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I rode a Scott Solace with one for 10 months (was killed in a smash) and I never had a problem. However my cleaning regime borders on psychotic

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Always loved the look of Genesis bikes after seeing Martin Irvine win the Shay Elliott on one.

The other brand in that bracket that I love the look of is Condor.

I love the Condors (although I think they have closed their doors sadly, maybe I am wrong, to lazy to google), first bike I seen where i literally started drooling and tempted to offer the owner money with no knowledge of the bike or anything.

@Magicbastarder, bought the frameset here, pretty sure it was from Letape. Everything else was put on by me. It's a really strange one, loved how the bike looked, was exactly what I needed and get good reviews everywhere. But just never took to it, as much as I wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

joey100 wrote: »
    The only other bike I never took to was my genesis I sold to magicbastarder, only 2 short spins on it but just knew it wasn't for me, no idea why but from the start just never took to it.

Jaysis that's gas. I had to read your post again to make sure I didn't write it in my sleep or something.
    I sold a Genesis to Magicbastarder as well. I couldn't warm to the bike either. It felt a bit sluggish to get going. To be fair, it moved along nicely when up to speed.

What's Magic doing with all these Genesises / Geneses / Genesii?

i have two equilibriums now, disc and non-disc. they're like GT cruisers.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I love the Condors (although I think they have closed their doors sadly, maybe I am wrong, to lazy to google), first bike I seen where i literally started drooling and tempted to offer the owner money with no knowledge of the bike or anything.

It’s still open (probably as an essential service under UK Reg.) and I was lucky to visit there about 5 weeks ago.

Huge premises and a mind boggling collection of ex demo/second hand/clearance bikes.

It’s very much one of these Mega Bricks n mortar “local” bike shops-very informed and friendly staff-and they will literally build your bike up from scratch-measured on Retul, colour and frame type, gruppo etc, which, as you could imagine, results in some simply amazing custom bikes being there ready for collection.

Indeed, some of the “clearance” bikes had the appearance that they had been built to order.

If you are ever near Holborn it’s well worth a visit. A very good source for any hard to find components too, particularly Campagnolo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Most of my bikes over the years fell into the "grown to love" category especially a certain Mercian Professional even though it was totally unsuited to the uses I put it to.
    While I can't really say I hated my second last bike, a Giant Defy Composite, I certainly never loved it and that was ultimately what made me get rid of it. The Van Nicholas that replaced it was love at first sight and, with the exception of a few nicely restored 1980's Colnagos, I have never even been tempted to stray.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Most of my bikes over the years fell into the "grown to love" category especially a certain Mercian Professional even though it was totally unsuited to the uses I put it to.
    While I can't really say I hated my second last bike, a Giant Defy Composite, I certainly never loved it and that was ultimately what made me get rid of it. The Van Nicholas that replaced it was love at first sight and, with the exception of a few nicely restored 1980's Colnagos, I have never even been tempted to stray.

I'm the same with my VN! Love at 1st site. It rides damn well too

Trekker09 wrote: »
    I'm the same with my VN! Love at 1st site. It rides damn well too
    Definitely think that Titanium bikes are made for Irish roads. Just absorb so much of the road buzz.

When you look at some of the models like VN, Moots, Reilly and Mosaic, they are works of art.

A bike for life as they say...

Advertisement