Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant play DVDs on laptop

Options
  • 31-03-2020 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I hope i have this in the right section.

I was wondering if anyone can help me please. First off, Im not very tech minded so please excuse.

I have a HP laptop Windows 10. I use to be able to watch dvds on it without any problem ,it would automatically play them no problem.

But now when I load a DVD a page appears saying "POWERDVD "The No 1 movie Experience on the PC," but for me to play my DVD on it, it seems I have to play for this "upgrade"

Can anyone tell me why this now appears on my LP and is there anyway of playing my dvd the way i use to , ie. without any problem and without any need to "pay"

Thanks

Comments

on your laptop open file explorer

in file explorer on your laptop right-click on "this pc" (bottom left), select "properties" and note if it says 32-bit or 64-bit operating system under "system type"

go to this link ->

https://potplayer.daum.net/

download and install either 32 bit or 64 bit version (if it asks to install anything else like a anti-virus program untick that option)

install extra codecs if it asks

launch it (potplayer)

control + d to open a dvd or through the menu -> open in the top left menu button

press the enter key to go full screen

confirm it works with reply

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

When you pop in a DVD go to your file explorer and right click on the DVD drive and select Open With and choose Windows Media Player

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

mordeith wrote: »
    When you pop in a DVD go to your file explorer and right click on the DVD drive and select Open With and choose Windows Media Player

Hi Thanks for that.

The problem is when I pop a DVD in this "Cyberpower play" page appears,hence my problem !

glasso wrote: »
    on your laptop open file explorer

in file explorer on your laptop right-click on "this pc" (bottom left), select "properties" and note if it says 32-bit or 64-bit operating system under "system type"

go to this link ->

https://potplayer.daum.net/

download and install either 32 bit or 64 bit version (if it asks to install anything else like a anti-virus program untick that option)

install extra codecs if it asks

launch it (potplayer)

control + d to open a dvd or through the menu -> open in the top left menu button

press the enter key to go full screen

confirm it works with reply

Is that "potplayer" a different /new player?

Whilst i appreciate what you told me, I do wish to be able to play my DVDs again on my LT like I use to.
    In other words, how can i get rid of this "cyberplayer" page that keeps appearing and how did it come to appear on my LT in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

Control panel uninstall power dvd then just use media player.

Have u always used power dvd to watch them?

• Advertisement

Control panel uninstall power dvd then just use media player.

Have u always used power dvd to watch them?

Thank you.

I always watched DVDs on the media player without any problem but recently,whenever I installed a dvd this "cyberpower player" page appears which says "enables you to watch dvds in HD". But to upgrade you have to pay.

So in efffect in am unable to watch anything!

So I uninstalled this Cyberpower player and now when I go to play a DVD on LT is doesnt recognise it.So went to Google to download windows DVD player and its 19.99 euro , which is a new one on me .
    WTF !!

Mr.Frame wrote: »
    Is that "potplayer" a different /new player?

Whilst i appreciate what you told me, I do wish to be able to play my DVDs again on my LT like I use to.
    In other words, how can i get rid of this "cyberplayer" page that keeps appearing and how did it come to appear on my LT in the first place?

yes it's a different free and excellent player. you'll never be asked to pay for it.

will play dvd's perfectly and would be a good solution.

I'd recommend using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

Mr.Frame wrote: »
    Thank you.

I always watched DVDs on the media player without any problem but recently,whenever I installed a dvd this "cyberpower player" page appears which says "enables you to watch dvds in HD". But to upgrade you have to pay.

So in efffect in am unable to watch anything!

So I uninstalled this Cyberpower player and now when I go to play a DVD on LT is doesnt recognise it.So went to Google to download windows DVD player and its 19.99 euro , which is a new one on me .
    WTF !!

You dont need to download anything, windows media player is built in. Insert dvd go to dvd drive in my computer right click and select play with media player as already suggested

You dont need to download anything, windows media player is built in. Insert dvd go to dvd drive in my computer right click and select play with media player as already suggested

That was the way it used to be before this "problem".

Now, when i put a dvd into the LT the "microsoft store" page appears with a series of apps for playing DVDs. On it is the Windows DVD Player at a price of 14:99 euro !!

glasso wrote: »
    yes it's a different free and excellent player. you'll never be asked to pay for it.

will play dvd's perfectly and would be a good solution.

I'd recommend using it.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭daheff

It sounds like you possibly have some kind of virus. Run a virus scan if you have an antivirus program.

Windows Media player should be inbuilt with win10.
    Never heard of being asked to pay for it.

Make sure you are being directed to a genuine website?

daheff wrote: »
    It sounds like you possibly have some kind of virus. Run a virus scan if you have an antivirus program.

Windows Media player should be inbuilt with win10.
    Never heard of being asked to pay for it.

Make sure you are being directed to a genuine website?

Thanks.

I did run an anti virus scan and all was well.

It is a mystery to as why i am being asked to pay alright as previous to this problem, it was just a matter of putting a dvd in and it played no problem.
    Now as i say, when i do that a Windows app page appears with numerous DVD players on it, one of which is Windows Media at a cost !!

Its a damn mystery, but thanks for your help

Advertisement