Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Type of foundation

Options
  • 30-03-2020 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Could anyone recommend a foundation to use for a 4 storey concrete frame apartment block with a basement? I originally thought raft foundation would suffice, but the basement is of different dimensions to the ground floor so I'm unsure if that would work. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Many thanks.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,165 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Sorry, we can't give structural advice here

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

As above, have a read of the forum charter, we can’t offer structural advice.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Famoso wrote: »
    Could anyone recommend a foundation to use for a 4 storey concrete frame apartment block with a basement? I originally thought raft foundation would suffice, but the basement is of different dimensions to the ground floor so I'm unsure if that would work. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Many thanks.

Seriously.
    4 storey apartment block and your asking boards.
    Where’s your Assigned Certifier and engineer?

Are you building in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

This clearly needs a full engineering team.
    Not giving structural advice as its impossible without site conditions being inspected / tested however in the general case where ground conditions are good, with a build such as this, it might end with a ground slab at basement level formed with thickenings under walls etc with rebar tying to rising concrete walls.
    As it gets to ground level and if the ground floor has a bigger footprint, it will result basement structure carrying overhead structure where possible with additional foundations to carry the outer areas with slab carrying onto basement rising walls.
    This is just an outline of how something might be built and is far from structural advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,340 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Famoso wrote: »
    Many thanks.

I don't think you want to know most peoples thoughts on asking for a foundation design for a four storey apartment block on an internet forum.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement