Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Promotion but not paid the increase agreed

Options
  • 30-03-2020 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi there, posting looking for some help/guidance/feedback on a situation I am facing.

As part of my appraisal at the beginning of this year, I agreed with my line manager that a request for a promotion would be submitted for approval.

After a month or so I was told that the promotion and the associated pay increase would be arranged as part of the company’s pay and bonus review process in March. I was informed that in mid March the company would confirm to me the new title and pay.

Fast forward to last week and I was informed that in my current role my salary is below the market average, therefore my salary would be increased marginally (but still below the market average). I queried with my manager the promotion and he informed me that my title would change from next month and after that he could speak to HR about getting the salary increase for the promotion. The reason being that the promotion sat outside of the pay review process.

I have been left feeling cheated and very upset by the conflicting information that I have been given by my line manager up to this point. I did not share my feelings at the time of last week’s meeting (perhaps a mistake) as I wanted to take time to consider the situation and how I approach the pay issue for my next 1:1 this week.

I would appreciate any thoughts on how I can address this situation with my employer.

I am worried that any conversation I have regarding pay will be objected to by saying that coronavirus is leading the company to reduce costs where possible.

I appreciate the issues that the pandemic is causing for all companies but ultimately I feel that the promotion and additional pay could and should have been resolved far earlier than March.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

I was in this situation a few weeks back. Agreed pay rise with my manager. he rang me and told me the owner said yes and will be shown on my next payslip. Fast forward to payslip, same wage, ring manager and he tells me the owner has said to not pay it. I was told the Covid19 situation was the problem but I think that's just a cop out. Everything was verbal so there's nothing I can do for now. We are still working away as normal so hopefully I'll get it once this is over. I'm happy to just have a job for now, to be honest.

I don't think there's much you can do, OP. Unless you have something in writing.

Ride out the pandemic and then revisit it. Pay rises are not on companies radar right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Lundstram wrote: »
    I don't think there's much you can do, OP. Unless you have something in writing.

Ride out the pandemic and then revisit it. Pay rises are not on companies radar right now.

Completely agree with this. It’s really crap timing OP and I can understand your frustration but now is not the time to be looking for an increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Problem as I see it, the employer hasn’t come straight out and said that they are delaying the rise due to the pandemic... they are using some horse**** about ‘market average’ to renege on a verbal agreement. I wouldn’t hold off pushing it. It appears that the corona situation isn’t the issue, or else they could have easily said that. Send an email seeking clarification and reminding them the conversation in the interview and you’d be grateful if they would keep to their word.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,539 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

****ty employers use stuff like this to short change staff, it’s a shortsighted thing to do.
    I think between the current go slow and the impending recession they know staff will be reluctant to jump ship, amd they are probably right too.

Local factory here is owned by a local father and son who have taken out in excess of €20million in pension and bonus, but staff have just had a 50% pay cut for two months with review at the end.

They will just likely say Covid19 when you press them.

My advice is head down keep the job to protect yourself from any coming recession but as soon as possible after that move jobs to a company where this is less likely to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

I would also put careful consideration into going back to management to say you are no longer interested in the promotion and will remain in your current position as the terms are not what was agreed. I know some will disagree with this, however for you to do a role which does not come with agreed pay, plus added pressure of work for promoted role could lead to extra stress for you. In the current climate it is as important to look after your mental health as physical health.

Continuing to do this new role while disagreements or lack of clarity for pay could lead to issues down the road, if the company fail to put in writing confirmed appropriate pay increase then consider walking away from new role and remain in your current role for your own wellbeing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭skallywag

_Brian wrote: »
    My advice is head down keep the job to protect yourself from any coming recession but as soon as possible after that move jobs to a company where this is less likely to happen.

I echo this advice.

I do see your point OP, but I would be battening down the hatches at the moment, unless you happen to be in a position that will be somewhat immune to the economic crapstorm which is approaching.

Advertisement