Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vrt ?

Options
  • 30-03-2020 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭

I'm currently converting a 2007 transporter to a camper. Basic enough conversion rock and roll bed and kitchen units , 2 burner and sink and a window or two etc no pop top roof. Just wondering if anyone has done the same or similar and what is the VRT charge to change over ? Dont want to be hit with a huge bill.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

dor843088 wrote: »
    I'm currently converting a 2007 transporter to a camper. Basic enough conversion rock and roll bed and kitchen units , 2 burner and sink and a window or two etc no pop top roof. Just wondering if anyone has done the same or similar and what is the VRT charge to change over ? Dont want to be hit with a huge bill.

Thanks

13.3% of whatever Rosslare thinks its worth.

So say they value somewhere 12,000 to 15,000 = €1600 - €2000 VRT

You may also have to fight with revenue about the low roof,

Most insurers won't cover it with low roof either, joining a club is one way of getting cover.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

You may also have to fight with revenue about the low roof,

Most insurers won't cover it with low roof either, joining a club is one way of getting cover.

Again I'm seeing this "low roof" mentioned as being an issue.
    How come lots of people (and I know a few) have VW T5s with low roofs and no issue either with revenue or insurance?

Again I'm seeing this "low roof" mentioned as being an issue.
    How come lots of people (and I know a few) have VW T5s with low roofs and no issue either with revenue or insurance?

The issue is revenue trying to suggest that 1,8m is a requirement where that is not part of the europen definition of a motor caravan so you need to stick to your guns when it comes to dealing with them.

In relation to the insurance low roofs are precluded from the main group schemes Dolmen and Stuarts. You might get cover through Richardsons or the Clubs.

A lot of the low roof T5s especially the stealthy ones are under commercial or crewcab insurance / tax (questionable cover in the event of an accident, and definitely falls foul of revenue should you be stopped on the road).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭niloc1951

The issue is revenue trying to suggest that 1,8m is a requirement where that is not part of the europen definition of a motor caravan so you need to stick to your guns when it comes to dealing with them.

In relation to the insurance low roofs are precluded from the main group schemes Dolmen and Stuarts. You might get cover through Richardsons or the Clubs.

A lot of the low roof T5s especially the stealthy ones are under commercial or crewcab insurance / tax (questionable cover in the event of an accident, and definitely falls foul of revenue should you be stopped on the road).

You are right when you say there is no roof height quoted as part of the EU vehicle category definition for motior caravans, (J) on the Cert of Registration.

But, and it's a big but, The Revenue rules for qualification for 'Motor Caravan' taxation class, (J.2) on the Cert of Registration, is a local regulation with nothing to do with the EU.

So, even if the internal requirements qualify for EU Vehicle Category 'Motor Caravan' but if the internal height doesn't satisfy Revenue the vehicle could be denied Motor Taxation Class 'Motor Caravan (€102 p.a.)

niloc1951 wrote: »
    You are right when you say there is no roof height quoted as part of the EU vehicle category definition for motior caravans, (J) on the Cert of Registration.

But, and it's a big but, The Revenue rules for qualification for 'Motor Caravan' taxation class, (J.2) on the Cert of Registration, is a local regulation with nothing to do with the EU.

So, even if the internal requirements qualify for EU Vehicle Category 'Motor Caravan' but if the internal height doesn't satisfy Revenue the vehicle could be denied Motor Taxation Class 'Motor Caravan (€102 p.a.)

But its being applied selectively according to the will of the individual and some professional converters seem to have no issue so you can hardly call it a regulation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

As far as I'm aware a pop top roof is not required. Iv certainly seen loads of fully registered campers with low roof . And I guessed about 1500 vrt when changing to camper. Thanks for the replies . I wont be finished for a number of months but I will post back with my experience when completed. It might be help someone else out.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

We did one with a low roof and it was no problem, it hadn’t been an issue for years. The issue is getting insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭niloc1951

But its being applied selectively according to the will of the individual and some professional converters seem to have no issue so you can hardly call it a regulation.

Maybe it is being applied selectively but the rules are there, if some want to abide by them and others do not, it seems to be just a lottery.

By EU Definition a motor caravan is
    A vehicle of category M with living
    accommodation space which contains
    the following equipment as a minimum:
    (a) seats and table;
    (b) sleeping accommodation which may
    be converted from the seats;
    (c) cooking facilities;
    (d) storage facilities.
    This equipment shall be rigidly fixed to
    the living compartment.
    However, the table may be designed to
    be easily removable.

By Irish Revenue definition a motor caravan is
    A motor caravan is a special purpose European Union (EU) category M vehicle with an EU Body Work Code SA.
    It must be constructed to include living accommodation which contains at least the following equipment:
    seats and a table
    sleeping accommodation (which may be converted from the seats)
    cooking facilities
    and
    storage facilities.
    This equipment must be securely fitted to the living compartment. Tables that can be removed easily are acceptable.
    Primarily a caravan should provide mobile living accommodation where a person (of average height) can move around comfortably while standing.
    The living accommodation area should allow for a comfortable living environment for a person, or persons, for an extended period

It's the last two requirements which Revenue can use to deny the Motor Taxation Class 'Motor Caravan', but if the rest is complied with the vehicle is entitled to EU Vehicle Category 'Motor Caravan'

The above in blue are cut & pasts from the Revenue website and the EU Directive.

Has anyone any experience in being denied reclassification ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Hooked

Has anyone any experience in being denied reclassification ?

Once you meet the revenue definition, satisfy the SQI (engineer) who is certifying the conversion, pay the vrt (where owed) and join a camper club.., to get it insured, then it’s a doddle! Ha ha.

I’ve a low roof T5.

My advice... speak to the SQI first!!! They can be quite specific as to HOW everything is installed.

Better still.., get on to ‘self build Campervans Ireland’ page on Facebook!

• Advertisement

Oh... and keep your RECEIPTS!!!!

Revenue will value the van! Your build/materials/parts receipts prove the BUILD cost. I kept mine to under 2000. Paid very little vrt.

Then... once legally converted... I finished off the inside and added loads more to it.

Am I right in saying apart from the usual window cupboards and bed that the only thing they are particularly fussy with is how the gas is fitted ?

Am I right in saying apart from the usual window cupboards and bed that the only thing they are particularly fussy with is how the gas is fitted ?

Sqi will be more bsessed with Seats and seatbelts unless they are oem

The SQI is fussy about how everything is fitted.

RNR bed bolted through the van floor with spreader plates.
    Gas setup is very specific. Hoses/copper/fittings/locker/vents.
    Kitchen units. Location of sink/hobs/distances
    Fridge. Is it gas?? Vents.
    Electrical hookup

Like I said earlier - speak to your SQI.

As you have a low roof T5, you’ll NEED to get insurance via the motor caravan club. So use their SQI - otherwise you’ll end up paying 2 engineers. Coz their SQI will have to approve it for insurance (and the revenue)

He’s a gent. BUT very VERY particular about the build.

Hooked wrote: »
    The SQI is fussy about how everything is fitted.

RNR bed bolted through the van floor with spreader plates.
    Gas setup is very specific. Hoses/copper/fittings/locker/vents.
    Kitchen units. Location of sink/hobs/distances
    Fridge. Is it gas?? Vents.
    Electrical hookup

Like I said earlier - speak to your SQI.

As you have a low roof T5, you’ll NEED to get insurance via the motor caravan club. So use their SQI - otherwise you’ll end up paying 2 engineers. Coz their SQI will have to approve it for insurance (and the revenue)

He’s a gent. BUT very VERY particular about the build.

Dont suppose you happen to have his contact info ?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

01 8251364

Advertisement