Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nuisance Calls from Trader companies

Options
  • 30-03-2020 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭

1. In last 6 months I've been receiving phone calls from 'stock/forex trading companies'.
    2. I've had 4 calls, from different numbers.
    3. All calls until today were Irish.
    4. At 13:47 today , London UK number +44 20 8089 7365 rang me.
    5. I need to answer most UK/Irish numbers for work.
    6. I opened a Data Protection Commission complaint over the last call in December.
    7. From this call I knew to ask for details of where the marketing issued from (the name of the data controller as well as the phone number it issued from);
    8. The man on phone said that I'd opted into data & then attempted to dissuade me from asking further questions, referring back to the purpose of his call.
    9. I then asked to opt-out of receiving marketing material or calls from the data controller & he then asked why, as he was just trying to sell me a product.
    10. I got angry & hung up, because I believed I could be charged for just taking the call itself.
    • Can I be charged for simply answering a call from a number?
    • Considering the caller refused to let me 'opt-out', could I raise a DPC complaint?
    • Is there anyway to get my name off their registry?

Mods, apologies if this is in the wrong forum. I'm seeing red. :mad:

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I get these also, come in bursts then vanish for some months. Refuse to tell me where they got my details other than "you signed up"; refuse to give data controller etc.

The Irish DPC is as useless as a chocolate teapot and won't even look into a UK number. The ICO in the UK seem to be similarly useless when the complainant is not in Ireland.

Eventually they started ringing me off 076 numbers so the DPC are allegedly investigating. If you repeatedly explain to them that you do not know the data controller as the info was refused, and tell them to do their sodding job they will stop asking for it.

That I've tried everything from calmly telling them I will never be interested to calling the staff criminals etc and they still don't take me off their lists suggests that some people must eventually just give in.

You can't get charged for answering a call.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The DPC replied again today saying they can't do anything without knowing the name of the data controller

I have replied asking them if they're taking the piss - as if not they've admitted you can completely evade them by not giving out the data controllers name!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭FionnK86

L1011 wrote: »
    The DPC replied again today saying they can't do anything without knowing the name of the data controller

I have replied asking them if they're taking the piss - as if not they've admitted you can completely evade them by not giving out the data controllers name!

Next time they ring, record them & ask them for name as proof for data controller.

Oh wait... you can't record them without their permission . :p

FionnK86 wrote: »
    Next time they ring, record them & ask them for name as proof for data controller.

Oh wait... you can't record them without their permission . :p

You actually can in Ireland; single party consent is all that's required. Once you know you're recording that's OK. The big scandal with the Guards was because neither party were aware.

That is exceptionally rare internationally though; hence the conception that you can't.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I usually keep a referee's whistle by the phone for those that can't be told.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

Simplest solution is: "This is a pointless call. Goodbye - click"
    If they call again: "Ah you again. Goodbye!"

DPC have totally washed their hands of this saying they can't do anything without an identified data controller. Complete and utter copout.

Advertisement