Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiatiors - OPEN OR CLOSED?

Options
  • 30-03-2020 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi again,

I've gas heating with radiations as the attached in the pic.

Some have no thermostat so I don't know which one controls the temperature and which one, not. I know... I just need to try however I want to know what's the standard position.

One more thing, do you know where can I get the thermostat valve to put them in?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

That rad looks like a wheel head type valve, that rad does not have a Thermostat.

One pipe is inflow and the other outflow , when you turn on your gas heating in the morning put your hand on either pipe see which one is getting warm 1st.

You can buy the Wheel head valve cover in any decent Plumbing supply company, they are cheap as chips, Davies in Harmonstown , Dubin 5. have them in stock always.

However with the current lockdown, most of the large suppliers have closed. You could try Screwfix website online instead.

https://www.davies.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

The Thermostat valves wont just sit onto those heads. You need to drain the heating system, change the valve and refill the heating system. Unless you know what your at its a big more than i would reccomend for average diyer

The valves in your photo generally one side is used to turn the rad on/off manually and the other side is used to balance the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Kaldo

The Thermostat valves wont just sit onto those heads. You need to drain the heating system, change the valve and refill the heating system. Unless you know what your at its a big more than i would reccomend for average diyer

The valves in your photo generally one side is used to turn the rad on/off manually and the other side is used to balance the system.

Thanks.

The valve itself works well. The only thing missing is wheel head cover. Do I still need to drain the heating system? Is it putting the thermostat cover good enough?

Advertisement