Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moss

Options
  • 30-03-2020 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭

Hi. One of my fields which was reclaimed a few years ago is being taken over by moss. There is moss on the top of the hill and also down in the lower wet area's. I always heard moss thrives in acid wet soils but i just got soil results back and the pH is over 7 and as mentioned there is moss on the top of the hill which is bone dry. Field has index 3 and 4 for K and P respectively. I am starting to question the accuracy of these soil tests now.

Any ideas on how to get rid of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We got a chain Harrow and busted it out once and it’s never been a problem again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

_Brian wrote: »
    We got a chain Harrow and busted it out once and it’s never been a problem again.

Oh, excellent...

I got a chain harrow lately for this exact reason.

Now, I think my fields do need lime, so thats on the to-do list for the summer sometime, after I get at them with the chain harrow...

When you say busted it out once, do you mean you only chain harrowed one time? Or you harrowed a few times til it was gone?
    Just interested to know what my future holds for me and harrowing... ;)

Few passes in in different directions worked a treat. Bit of weight on the harrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

_Brian wrote: »

Cool. I have a chain harrow so I will give it a go

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Cool. I have a chain harrow so I will give it a go

Best when it’s good and dry and grass short, just after grazing

• Advertisement

Spread lime, it will balance the Ph

Advertisement