Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back tyres always looking 'flat'

Options
  • 30-03-2020 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi there

Like many with lockdown I'm dusting down my bike and going to use it a lot.

I have a Kellys Neos, which is fine for what I need.

But I find that no matter how much I pump, the back tyre always looks 'flat'. I'm not a small guy but I'm not huge either- about 14 stone/ 90kg.

I don't think I've ever changed the inner tubes, are there any recommendations on what good quality inner tubes might be, or is this just something that you have to live with?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What pressure have you the tyre at?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

are you using a decent pump?

Could it have a slow puncture? I am not sure but I imagine there could be a case where a puncture or dodgy valve might allow air out until it lowered to a certain pressure and then stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

As everyone else says, you need a "real" track pump. A hand pump will barely get you to the right pressure.
    Bonus: You'll get less punctures with proper pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 RobTB

Thank you for this- really appreciate it. I am using a €15 pump from Halfords so that might be part of the problem. I don't know what the pressure is but I'll take a look when I get in.

Is part of it the quality of the inner tube, or is that a different thing totally, should you be able to get a good firm tyre with any inner tube as long as its sufficiently inflated?

I had two inner tubes from Halfords so god knows if thats cheap tat that I need to improve, but they are new inners so I don't think its a slow puncture.

The bike itself is great for me, its a hybrid that I got in 2010 when the cycle to work scheme came out, about €500 I think so nowhere near professional but it'll do for the wild terrain around Fermoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Yes, all inner tubes should be able to hold air. They have one job! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

All tubes, no matter what price/quality, lose air over time (about 10% every month), so it’s essential to have a decent pump for your two-weekly top-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Lumen wrote: »
    Yes, all inner tubes should be able to hold air. They have one job! :pac:

I fixed a puncture on a mates bike a few weeks ago. Pumped it up to 90psi.
    He made it home, but the tyre 'exploded' a few hours later.
    The tube had burst at the seam, nowhere near the puncture repair.
    It was a Halfords tube. And that would put me off Halfords tubes to be honest.
    I aways use Schwalbe myself, and buy them six at a time so I always have some in the kit box.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭JayWalsh

I bought 3 halfords tubes last year for a tenner, still using two of them on the bike with only one puncture between them. The spare tube is in my saddle bag.
    I invested in good tyres though.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

RobTB wrote: »
    I don't know what the pressure is but I'll take a look when I get in.

Kinda like not knowing if your car takes petrol or diesel, critical bit of info.

Advertisement