Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing Crankset

Options
  • 30-03-2020 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking to change the crankset on my single speed bike to upgrade from the factory one. I really like the Stronglight ones (example below)

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CSSTTR2K/stronglight-track-2000-crankset

I checked my own - it's 46t and 170mm.
    The one listed above is 49t (I am sure it's available in 46t elsewhere) but just wondered do I need to swap like for like ie: go with 46t?
    Also looking to change the chain also as it needs replacing. Any suggestions for good one and anything need to be considered when changing it over?

Thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

No some people change the gearing. If you go 49T youll have a higher top speed but slower off the line

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

You might also need a longer chain. Trying to picture it in my mind, it might depends on how much scope there is for bringing the wheel closer to the chain-ring on the drop out.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭whodafunk

Hi,

I found this crankset - looks a lot nicer than standard Fuji crankset I currently have. Sugino and other brands are a little out of my current budget unfortunately.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/chainsets/black-sturmey-archer-fct28-single-chainset-48t-with-170-mm-cranks/

It's available in 46t and 48t. Would I be best to change like for like ie: 46t for 46t or could I easily change to 48t for better gearing? I need to replace my chain anyway so was planning on getting the crankset and then asking my LBS to swap it over and replace chain.
    Should I also replace bottom bracket (current one seems a little rusted)? Do I need any other parts to get me up and running?

Thanks

Advertisement