Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Somebody using larson trap

Options
  • 29-03-2020 6:13pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So was out and about this evening in a local field which is public land and noted a very unusual trap, I did a bit of searching based on the design and its contents (hen eggs) and note it's a larson trap.

From what I can see these are not illegal in Ireland but why would somebody be using this on public land. I'm doubting its the county council.

Looking online these seem to be popular with people catching mag pie's, why the obsession with trying to catch them though?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,658 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Cabaal wrote: »
    So was out and about this evening in a local field which is public land and noted a very unusual trap, I did a bit of searching based on the design and its contents (hen eggs) and note it's a larson trap.

From what I can see these are not illegal in Ireland but why would somebody be using this on public land. I'm doubting its the county council.

Looking online these seem to be popular with people catching mag pie's, why the obsession with trying to catch them though?

Magpies can cause damage to young lambs and sick sheep - they are also a menace to nesting birds in large numbers. For both these reasons it is legal to shoot and/or trap them on any land this way. They council may have rare birds like nesting Lapwing nearby which is why the trap is there

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

In Ireland all bird species are protected but some are 'less protected' than others.
    Each year the relevant Minister publishes the EU Birds Directive Article 9 Derogations which allows certain 'pest' species to be controlled by the methods stated.....

https://www.npws.ie/sites/default/files/general/art-9-declaration-may-2019-apr-2020-state-wide.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

What on earth is the Collared Dove doing on that list? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Del.Monte wrote: »
    What on earth is the Collared Dove doing on that list? :eek:
    Are you thinking of the Wood Pigeon (different bird)?

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Are you thinking of the Wood Pigeon (different bird)?

Why would I be thinking of the Wood Pigeon? The Collared Dove is on that list as 'a threat to public health notably contamination of food storage' yet it is a protected species in the UK: https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/collared-dove/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Why would I be thinking of the Wood Pigeon? The Collared Dove is on that list as 'a threat to public health notably contamination of food storage' yet it is a protected species in the UK: https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/collared-dove/

In cases where doves/pigeons are roosting in farm buildings and their droppings are contaminating animal feed for example, they can be killed with the relevant authorization from NPWS. I don't know how often NPWS authorize this sort of thing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

In cases where doves/pigeons are roosting in farm buildings and their droppings are contaminating animal feed for example, they can be killed with the relevant authorization from NPWS. I don't know how often NPWS authorize this sort of thing.

My understanding would be that, you don't need authorization from NPWS once you're controlling them within the dates and the reason specified in the derogation?

My point is that Collared Doves have been lumped in with Feral Pigeons (which should be totally eradicated) and Wood Pigeons which cause serious crop damage. They are a protected species in the UK so why not here? :confused:

My understanding would be that, you don't need authorization from NPWS once you're controlling them within the dates and the reason specified in the derogation?

Just found the relevant info on Collard Doves. They can be controlled all year round where they pose a threat to 'public health notably contamination of food storage'.

https://www.npws.ie/legislation/irish-law/eu-birds-directive-derogations

Just found the relevant info on Collard Doves. They can be controlled all year round where they pose a threat to 'public health notably contamination of food storage'.

https://www.npws.ie/legislation/irish-law/eu-birds-directive-derogations

Is this common, I would have thought that the feral pigeon is the guilty party here?

• Advertisement

Is this common, I would have thought that the feral pigeon is the guilty party here?

I have seen small flocks of Collard Dover around granaries, but not many, maybe a dozen or so birds at most. The ferals would be a much greater problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,852 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Larsen traps are cruel & pointless - removing Magpies simply opens up a vacant territory. It is a requirement to provide food & water for any decoy birds. I would drop a note to your local warden, with the location.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Discodog wrote: »
    Larsen traps are cruel & pointless - removing Magpies simply opens up a vacant territory. It is a requirement to provide food & water for any decoy birds. I would drop a note to your local warden, with the location.

They're only cruel if the laws surrounding their use aren't being obeyed. They're only pointless if sufficient expertise and effort isn't being used to control the Magpies in an area. One Larsen trap in isolation is indeed useless, but enough of them used in an area, and at the right time of year, they can be very effective at removing Magpies from an area for a couple of weeks or months.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,852 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

They're only cruel if the laws surrounding their use aren't being obeyed. They're only pointless if sufficient expertise and effort isn't being used to control the Magpies in an area. One Larsen trap in isolation is indeed useless, but enough of them used in an area, and at the right time of year, they can be very effective at removing Magpies from an area for a couple of weeks or months.

And who enforces those laws ? "Phil Wilson, chief superintendent of the RSPCA's prosecution department, said: 'It is the RSPCA's view that these [Larsen] traps are inherently cruel.'

They are even banned in the country where they were invented.

Very few people would have this expertise though many would claim to. Those that do conveniently forget the stress & distress suffered by any wild bird that suddenly finds itself trapped. It's akin to those who claim that the fox enjoys being chased. It's strange that such practices have support from nature lovers. But it's the old argument that some animals or birds are more equal than others & that applying the word "vermin" denies the creature any basic welfare.

Discodog wrote: »
    And who enforces those laws ? "Phil Wilson, chief superintendent of the RSPCA's prosecution department, said: 'It is the RSPCA's view that these [Larsen] traps are inherently cruel.'

They are even banned in the country where they were invented.

Very few people would have this expertise though many would claim to. Those that do conveniently forget the stress & distress suffered by any wild bird that suddenly finds itself trapped. It's akin to those who claim that the fox enjoys being chased. It's strange that such practices have support from nature lovers. But it's the old argument that some animals or birds are more equal than others & that applying the word "vermin" denies the creature any basic welfare.

The National Parks and Wildlife Service enforces those laws.

If people are against Larsen traps then I can understand that. But those same people have to realise that without those same Larsen traps there's a handful of breeding bird species that will go extinct here in no time and a few more not far behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Ape Owners

The National Parks and Wildlife Service enforces those laws.

If people are against Larsen traps then I can understand that. But those same people have to realise that without those same Larsen traps there's a handful of breeding bird species that will go extinct here in no time and a few more not far behind.

Those same people have to realize that it's technically illegal to interfere/tamper with said trap ,public land or private land,it's there for a reason.

Advertisement