Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 information

Options
  • 27-03-2020 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

Part time lurker and genuinely just curious. I am in no way rubbishing actions being taken to stop the spread.

I understand that changes to tenancy legislation, social welfare payments have been legislated for (or are about to be).

But when it comes to things such as travel and non essential businesses I am reading words like guidance, recommends and such. What legally (not morally) is stopping someone from heading to their own holiday home or a holiday home that they booked?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,167 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

As yet, travel restrictions are advisory, not legally binding; the government thinks that good citizenship, community spirit and a sense of responsibility will be more effective at securing observation that police enforcement. (NB: the claim is not that they will be 100% effective; just that they will be more effective than trying to rely on police power.)

If there isn't sufficient observation of the restrictions, the government can move to make them legally enforceable against people.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The Health Act passed last week allows orders to be made to prevent movement. Presumably that allows restrictions that apply to anything from a room to most of the country.

Advertisement