Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonsils removal

Options
  • 26-03-2020 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi

Has anyone had their child’s tonsils removed privately? And from where? The waiting lists are so long in public hospitals and my son’s hearing is getting impaired. He’s five years old. His tonsils are constantly swollen from one and a half years. Also, he didn’t pass his hearing test in school.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Ray367 wrote: »
    Hi

Has anyone had their child’s tonsils removed privately? And from where? The waiting lists are so long in public hospitals and my son’s hearing is getting impaired. He’s five years old. His tonsils are constantly swollen from one and a half years. Also, he didn’t pass his hearing test in school.

Thank you.
    Where are you located, I know some who went to Barrington's private in Limerick, now renamed the Beacon I think.
    Edit, now the Bon Secours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

My friend brought her child to aut even in Kilkenny. Had the procedure a week after her initial consult.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Ray367

august12 wrote: »
    Where are you located, I know some who went to Barrington's private in Limerick, now renamed the Beacon I think.
    Edit, now the Bon Secours.

I’m in Dublin.

jlm29 wrote: »
    My friend brought her child to aut even in Kilkenny. Had the procedure a week after her initial consult.

Any idea what was the cost of it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭anndub

My little girl was seen in mid December with operation scheduled for February. Time from referral to initial consultation was 6 weeks but the referral was lost so it would have been quicker had that not happened, I think usually about two weeks if you're happy to take any consultant.

We met a consultant privately in Temple Street and the operation could have been done in Temple Street or the mater private. We opted for the mater private as we were covered but I'm assuming it would have been cheaper in Temple Street itself being a public hospital. The slots are not very reliable there we were told, with operations regularly cancelled due to resourcing issues, however, I'm sure you're talking a delay of months rather than years.

I can't tell you cost of the op (the consultant visit was 180) but I'm sure if you call the private clinics in Temple Street they can tell you. Google will get you the phone number

• Advertisement

anndub wrote: »
    My little girl was seen in mid December with operation scheduled for February. Time from referral to initial consultation was 6 weeks but the referral was lost so it would have been quicker had that not happened, I think usually about two weeks if you're happy to take any consultant.

We met a consultant privately in Temple Street and the operation could have been done in Temple Street or the mater private. We opted for the mater private as we were covered but I'm assuming it would have been cheaper in Temple Street itself being a public hospital. The slots are not very reliable there we were told, with operations regularly cancelled due to resourcing issues, however, I'm sure you're talking a delay of months rather than years.

I can't tell you cost of the op (the consultant visit was 180) but I'm sure if you call the private clinics in Temple Street they can tell you. Google will get you the phone number

Great! Thank you. That was helpful. I’ll ring them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Ray367 wrote: »
    Any idea what was the cost of it ?

Her health insurance covered most of it, so very little

Advertisement