Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blond Highlights

Options
  • 26-03-2020 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

I know the advice is to stay away from home dye kits but..............!

I've blond highlights and haven't gotten them done since early December.
    Roots aren't grey but look black and awful.

Has anyone tried a home kit for highlights?
    Does such a kit even exist?
    I imagine different timings for the dark roots compared to the already coloured ends.
    Any tips or experiences pleeeeeeese!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

Stay away from home dye kits!
    Your hair doesn't look anywhere as bad as you think.
    There has never been a better time to get away with dark roots; it's so acceptable, nobody notices anymore.
    You have no grey, so you're grand.
    Home dye kit will most likely break your hair and heart.
    Stick it out, and read my second sentence a few more times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Terrible idea.
    For one thing you will end up with yellow/brassy roots. The bleach will damage your hair and you will likely colour match wrong and end up with not only brassy roots but a shade totally different to the rest of your hair.
    If its bothering you that much id even get a dye your natural colour and dye your whole head for the moment until this passes and you get to a salon.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Those kits don't lift high enough if you want blonde.

Without a trade card you won't get bleaching powder and developer in Dublin. Its stupid its just to prevent more people doing their hair at home.

You can order it online though. Most people will bleach with 30 volume as their go to you don't need to go higher. And that will lift you really light. You might even get away with 20. Wella blondor is a good bleaching powder.

Take a test strand ....and cut it off ...try it to get your formula right. Experiment on strands of your own hair rather than the hair on your head. Do one with 20 volume and one with 30 volume.

Practise doing your own hair (on your head) with conditioner first a few times. It will be less messy.

DONT use heat from a hair dryer on your bleach ..it will dry it out...you don't need heat for it to activate or work fast. I find bleach lifts faster without it.

Check it every 20 mins ....don't leave it longer than 60 mins.

look up a few youtube videos.

You can do this yourself. Its just a bit awkward especially when you get round to the back. Maybe just do a few around the front?

Firstly YOU ARE NOT GOING TO TOUCH ANYTHING ALREADY BLEACHED. NO OVERLAPPING.

You just do the black roots.

Here is a video.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

thanks for the help
    it makes sense to do it with the proper gear.
    I'll practise too

Oh i forgot to add its probably very important to use the right toner

You will get that online ....its just to help blend it ..you put it on after at the basin its easy you can put it on wet hair ..you mix it with white conditioner ..it helps blend everything and get rid of brassiness

If your hair looks REALLY brassy you can put the TINIEST bit of 10 vol developer in too ...don't if its the shade you want though ..it could go blueish or purple ...and no higher than ten.

Then rinse condition well and you are ready :)

We don't go over what is already bleached usually and with bleach itself ..and you don't want to doing it on your own certainly ...so we just might use a bit of toner at the end to bring it all together and get rid of red tones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Oh i forgot to add its probably very important to use the right toner

You will get that online ....its just to help blend it ..you put it on after at the basin its easy you can put it on wet hair ..you mix it with white conditioner ..it helps blend everything and get rid of brassiness

If your hair looks REALLY brassy you can put the TINIEST bit of 10 vol developer in too ...don't if its the shade you want though ..it could go blueish or purple ...and no higher than ten.

Then rinse condition well and you are ready :)

We don't go over what is already bleached usually and with bleach itself ..and you don't want to doing it on your own certainly ...so we just might use a bit of toner at the end to bring it all together and get rid of red tones.

ok thanks for that - noted!

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Dont do it. Wait it out.

My roots are grey and fcukin horrible, and even I wouldn't attempt a diy job on it.

Dont destroy your hair.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I'd be on the don't do it side too, wait it out.

Also, I hope this would go without saying, but you need to be EXTREMELY careful with professional products. They are designed for people who are trained to use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

Adding an oxident to a non oxidative colour will have no effect other than to dry the hair out. Most toners that clients buy are direct dye colours.

If it’s brassy, just use a purple shampoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Has anyone used Moroccan oil depositing colour mask before? My greys are out of control but don’t want box dying my hair, thought the colour mask might be a good option

• Advertisement

blacklilly wrote: »
    Has anyone used Moroccan oil depositing colour mask before? My greys are out of control but don’t want box dying my hair, thought the colour mask might be a good option

It won't really cover grey or white ...it will ..mmm tone it or give another dimension to your color ..its not for covering grey

You need some developer (20 vol was my go to)... to deposit and get colour to penetrate grey hair i used to find.

You will probably find it gives a bit of dimension to the rest of your hair and leaves your greys untouched.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Anyone else considering using a semi permanent colour to cover greys? Would this be less damaging? I have to do video calls most days so the grey roots are a growing issue for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

It won't really cover grey or white ...it will ..mmm tone it or give another dimension to your color ..its not for covering grey

You need some developer (20 vol was my go to)... to deposit and get colour to penetrate grey hair i used to find.

You will probably find it gives a bit of dimension to the rest of your hair and leaves your greys untouched.

Thank you. I’m due to start a new job on Tuesday 5th May and would really to have my greys covered for that. I was due to get my colour done the day Peter Marks closed, when they rang to cancel my appointment I asked them what colour they have been using on me, she said she wasn’t permitted to tell me exactly but it was an 8 something!!!!
    If I were to try colour it myself, how do I go about ensuring I’m using the right colour?

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

I went blonde again before Xmas, having gone brunette for a few years before that. It's growing out now but like you, I've no greys thankfully. I kind of think the dark root against the blonde hair looks good. It's kind of funky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

blacklilly wrote: »

Says here not formulated for grey unfortunately:
    https://www.moroccanoil.com/blog/beauty/tips-for-using-color-depositing-masks/

Advertisement