Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on restoring Decking

Options
  • 25-03-2020 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all,

We bought a house recently with some very weathered decking. I want to start working on it now but wanted to get your advice on the best way to start.

I'm assuming paint stripper and then wood protector and stain/paint to finish? Any advice would be really helpful as I haven't a clue what I am doing!

What products/tools should I be using to get this back up to a decent quality?

Here are photos.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭standardg60

Hi there seldom poster!
    Assuming its not rotten anywhere a powerhosing is your best bet to remove debris and loose paint, then leave to dry out completely before applying a stain, you'll find deck stains/treatments in your local diy.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭mountai

FWIW , you need to maintain decking and protective coat every year . You will see loads of" Deck Stains" and a lot of them are mad money . I get the cheap "Fence Life" type and use this , as I found it just as good as the expensive stuff , but be prepared to coat it yearly .

• Registered Users Posts: 7 i'm batman

I did that when we bought the house but I reckon I need to strip off the paint that is on it for ages. It's a grooved decking so not sure it is going to be a paid and also wondering about the best stripper to use. Ronseal doens't seem to strip paint either

Advertisement