Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a will.

Options
  • 25-03-2020 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,946 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for a bit of advice please. I don't currently have a will, and am looking to remedy that, without going to a solicitor if possible.

I'm not being fatalistic but the way things are at work and the world, and with one of my siblings battling life threatening cancer, its made it quite stark that I don't have anything arranged should something bad happen to me, I'd like clarity for my wife, kids and siblings (and make things as easy as possible).

Is there anywhere I could download a template that would meet the criteria for a legal will.

Thanks for any advice anyone can help offer.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Comments

Looking for a bit of advice please. I don't currently have a will, and am looking to remedy that, without going to a solicitor if possible.

I'm not being fatalistic but the way things are at work and the world, and with one of my siblings battling life threatening cancer, its made it quite stark that I don't have anything arranged should something bad happen to me, I'd like clarity for my wife, kids and siblings (and make things as easy as possible).

Is there anywhere I could download a template that would meet the criteria for a legal will.

Thanks for any advice anyone can help offer.

You could just write down your wishes and get your signature witnesses by two independent people. There starts the problem. They would both have to witness the signature at the same time and then sign. I doubt that’s possible in the current climate.
    For what it would cost, a solicitor would work out cheaper in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Have your homework done before going to the solicitor.
    Most have a set price for a will & it's worth going through them.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I'd like clarity for my wife, kids and siblings (and make things as easy as possible).

If you want clarity, don't do a DIY will.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,946 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

coylemj wrote: »
    If you want clarity, don't do a DIY will.

When I want everything, bar a couple of (monetarily worthless) bits and bobs to go to my wife? Thought (in ignorance) it would be a pretty straightforward thing to do.

Need to investigate costs involved with solicitors by look of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

You could just write down your wishes and get your signature witnesses by two independent people. There starts the problem. They would both have to witness the signature at the same time and then sign. I doubt that’s possible in the current climate.
    For what it would cost, a solicitor would work out cheaper in the long run.

I think its ok for 3 people to be in eachothers presence for 5 minutes!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

Consider what happens if you and your wife die at the same time, who gets the home? Or if you die and your wife remarries, do your children or her new spouse inherit the home in the event of her death? The solicitor will go through all the potential scenarios and confirm what you want to happen is clearly documented in the will. That is the experience you will pay for.

And would a couple of hundred quid get the job done?

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

If you’re a member of a credit union, it’s worth checking with them as some offer a free will making service to their members

If you’re a member of a credit union, it’s worth checking with them as some offer a free will making service to their members

I am, I'll look into it thanks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    Solicitor time
    Home-made wills are fertile source of disputes and litigation

• Advertisement

nuac wrote: »
    Mod
    Solicitor time
    Home-made wills are fertile source of disputes and litigation

Well I don't have the money at present for a solicitor, so I'll just chat with wife about it, and once I can, sort it with a solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I was told to make sure everything was in joint names; bank account etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Anything in joint names passes by survivorship and doesn't go through the estate. However, as has been mentioned what if there is a simultaneous death? What if your other half goes first? It is far better to go to an experienced solicitor with a full and complete family tree and wishes so that it can be formatted properly and all necessary legal formalities complied with. One major advantage to employing a solicitor is that the solicitors indemnity cover applies. That means if there is a mistake made a losing beneficiary may be entitled to compensation from the solicitor. That is not the case with a home-made will and the intended beneficiary is simply left out of pocket.

Advertisement