Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ming Ming & Ping Ping.

Options
  • 25-03-2020 8:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭

Remember this pair of pandas who were loaned to Dublin zoo from China mid 80's? They attained a big level of celebrity at the time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

They came in 1986

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Thats gas, pandas sponsored by West Coast Cooler, another blast from the past!

How long did they stay in the zoo? I remember there was huge crowds to go see them but never got to go myself. The zoo did have some polar bears around that time, is that still the case? And does anyone remember the crocodile that was basically housed in a bath?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Ming Ming and Ping Ping ended up in the burger machine at an unnamed meat plant on the border counties.

Did they both die in Dublin Zoo? Doubt the Chinese were too happy if that was the case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Article says they were on a 100 day visit, so I imagine not.

ah right, it must have been part of Chinas policy of panda diplomacy, they used it quite a bit during the Cold War and still use it to this day
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panda_diplomacy

No matter what China does if they send your country a pair of cute pandas suddenly they're your best mates. I mean who could dislike someone who sends you pandas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Do you think they got time off to go to Guinness Brewery?

Advertisement