Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old swing set

Options
  • 25-03-2020 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

Hi, I got a swing and slide set from a friend who's outgrown it.

It's in ok condition, I've replaced the lats for the ladder and some smaller pieces which were rotting. The main 6 poles which support everything are still good, I've treated them with a few coats of fencelife.

The question I have is, when re-assembling the poles with the connectors, should I re-use the same screw holes or rotate the poles and drill new ones? If so, how should I seal off old holes to prevent further rotting? The existing holes are not great but probably ok for another few years.

Connectors look like this:
    https://www.wickey.ie/swing-corner-round-80-100?gclid=CjwKCAjw3-bzBRBhEiwAgnnLCioa4EWyIEHUSV15V1hBvbw8Wgwv-Wt2LUqqoIEVsecYpGFE50n3YhoC6uMQAvD_BwE

Swing is the type in pic shown.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭brane.nikic87

I would not drill new holes as more holes you have drilled bigger is the chance of wood cracking in that area. If existing holes are not in a bad shape as you said, you can always fill them with epoxy to seal them and stop the wood from rotting and then reinstall screws into the same holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

I recommend the toothpick trick here, it's easier than trying to get glue in by itself.

Absolutely slather some wooden toothpicks or tiny bbq skewers (or just make some splinters the right size) with glue (epoxy or exterior wood glue is fine). Hammer them into the screw holes, as many as you can into each until they're jammed. Wait for it to dry and then cut/chisel/plane/sand (whatever you've got!) them flush to the surface. Apply a coat or two of Fence Life to each spot.

Pop your new screws straight into the same spot or rotate the poles - strength will be just the same - just as strong as new.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Agree with what has being said :) but I would drill a pilot hole before installing the new fasteners.
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Live at Three

Thanks for all that, something to do tomorrow!

Advertisement