Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boradband connection for a new build

Options
  • 24-03-2020 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭

Roofing is just about finished on my new house now and the electrician has started chasing so i am wondering what i need to do for getting broadband into the house. Do i need to put in a duct somewhere or what is the story for getting it into the house?

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

muddle84 wrote: »
    Roofing is just about finished on my new house now and the electrician has started chasing so i am wondering what i need to do for getting broadband into the house. Do i need to put in a duct somewhere or what is the story for getting it into the house?

Thanks for any help!

Depends whom your broadband is, assuming you are getting a phone line into the house, they you need a duct to get the phone line to the house, and perhaps wire CAT5/CAT6 cable around the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭tonytoc11

I'm at a similar stage of our build. The phone lines are installed by Eir, but they're a disaster to get in contact with.

Does anyone have a contact number for Eir? I've sent numerous emails to the Plant Alterations email and not a single response.

https://www.eir.ie/support/landline/building-or-altering-your-home/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭muddle84

tonytoc11 wrote: »
    I'm at a similar stage of our build. The phone lines are installed by Eir, but they're a disaster to get in contact with.

Does anyone have a contact number for Eir? I've sent numerous emails to the Plant Alterations email and not a single response.

https://www.eir.ie/support/landline/building-or-altering-your-home/

Thanks for that, have you tried their twitter account of the eir forum here? I used to have them for broadband in a rented house and i always foudn that was the best way to get a response!

Have you a duct into the house for the broadband or are you waiting on them to confirm? By the looks of that link there isn't anything i can do until i get an eircode is it?

muddle84 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, have you tried their twitter account of the eir forum here? I used to have them for broadband in a rented house and i always foudn that was the best way to get a response!

Have you a duct into the house for the broadband or are you waiting on them to confirm? By the looks of that link there isn't anything i can do until i get an eircode is it?

Their account on Boards.ie has been shut down. I'll see where I get with them on twitter.

We don't have the duct in yet, but yes, it is the plan to install the duct to the nearest telecoms pole. You also need to install a Telecom ETU Box in your wall (similar to an ESB box).

https://www.goodwins.ie/products/Cable-Telecom-ETU-Box-Only-White.html

• Registered Users Posts: 15,507 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭dubrov

Eir were impossible to contact and their customer service were not much better.

I was told that the electrician brings the cables up to the site boundary and Virgin/Eir take it from their to their cabinet which is under the road.

Luckily the driveway entrance hasn't been done yet as otherwise it would have had to be dug up again. This work should be performed shortly hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭arctictree

Just finished a new build here. Got a duct put in during the build for the broadband link from a wireless dish at the road (wifibre). Got the electrician to wire the house for cat5 with a network point at 4 points throughout the house. The cables all terminate in the attic and connect to the broadband route there.

Working out great now. The TV really needs a wired link and its good to be able to setup an additional wifi access point at the other end of the house.

arctictree wrote: »
    Just finished a new build here. Got a duct put in during the build for the broadband link from a wireless dish at the road (wifibre). Got the electrician to wire the house for cat5 with a network point at 4 points throughout the house. The cables all terminate in the attic and connect to the broadband route there.

Working out great now. The TV really needs a wired link and its good to be able to setup an additional wifi access point at the other end of the house.

How did you get in contact with Eir?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭arctictree

tonytoc11 wrote: »
    How did you get in contact with Eir?

I didn't, we are using wifibre. A square dish on the roof brings in the signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Go out and look at the eir poles your house.
    Find one with a black box that has small wires coming out of it to your neighbours properties.
    Being a duct to that pole from your etu.
    Internally wire your horse with cat 5 or 6.
    When you have a eirecode call the providers to see who has the best deal

• Advertisement
Advertisement