Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sending parcels/letters interrnationally.

Options
  • 24-03-2020 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,239 ✭✭✭✭

Apologies if this is not the correct forum to ask - it was the one that came up with the most results for "an post".

With all the social isolating, I don't really want to be going to post office but I have a letter/parcel to send to a friend in Europe. It is not extremely urgent but I actually intended to post it about 2 weeks ago.

Previously I would just go to the post office if I was sending something, they would weigh it, print a label and put it on it.

I assume that if I weigh it correctly, use the postage calculator online and just stick stamps on it to the value (or greater) than the calculated postage then I can just drop it in a letterbox? (I have an accurate digital scales)

I would need to buy stamps online first. I see that there are "national" and "international" stamps, but I assume that these are just the cost of a standard letter to those destinations.

So, for example, if I look up the postage calculator and it says 10.70 Euro, I can just still 11 national 1 Euro stamps on it?

Are my assumptions correct?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭pummice

If the stamps have Eire N on them they can only be used for National postage, as opposed to say, Eire €1, which can be used for national or international postage. Also will the post box have a big enough slot for your package?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,239 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

pummice wrote: »
    If the stamps have Eire N on them they can only be used for National postage, as opposed to say, Eire €1, which can be used for national or international postage. Also will the post box have a big enough slot for your package?

Ah so I need to be careful. I was going to order stamps online.

Yeah, the biggest it will be is an A4 padded envelope. When sending similar in the past, once or twice I bought the label but posted it later myself in a postbox rather than leaving at the counter (I still needed to add one last note to it)

So I could just but these international stamps which appear to cost 1.70 each? Although the denomination is a bit annoying say if I was 10c short!

Ok, so I take it that I can't use these ones
    https://www.anpost.com/Shop/Products/18DBK1

But that I could use these?
    https://www.anpost.com/Shop/Products/1-19DL1

What about these international ones?
    https://www.anpost.com/Shop/Products/18DBK2
    Would they work as a 1.70 stamp or would they be only for items which you could send for 1.70 total?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,281 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm fairly sure you can use NVI stamps ("N", "W" and "E" which I'm not sure exist anymore) as part of adding together postage to their current equivalent value (€1 for N and €1.70 for W).

L1011 wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure you can use NVI stamps ("N", "W" and "E" which I'm not sure exist anymore) as part of adding together postage to their current equivalent value (€1 for N and €1.70 for W).

That sounds better. As in if I was buying a heap of them, I'd be better to buy 'N' stamps than say '1 Euro' stamps

Because if they price went up to 1.20 for national stamp, my 'N' stamps would inflate with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

You can buy and print a postage label from the anpost website

Diziet wrote: »
    You can buy and print a postage label from the anpost website

Let me take another look. I tried to find such an option the other day. I went through the postage calculator and if I am not mistaken, at the end of the process, where I expected to have a link to purchase the postage, it seemed to direct me to a post office locator.

Ok, there is a "click and post" link on first page. Let me take a look!

Edit: Yes, it appears I can do that. That is exactly what I wanted. Thanks!

Advertisement