Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air lock in apartment

Options
  • 23-03-2020 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi everyone,
    I have looked at some previous threads on airlocks and, while I can't go through them all, I haven't found anything to exactly match my problem.
    I am trying to properly clear an airlocked system in a two bedroom apartment. It's a reasonably modern block (built circa 2006). There are two bathrooms. Each bathroom has a sink (hot and cold taps) and a bath (hot and cold taps and showers (not connected to pumps).
    When I started getting the apartment ready for habitation I needed to replace a torbeck in one of the toilet cisterns. In time honoured "have a go hero" fashion I made a mess of things by going into the closet where the hot water tank is and closing all valves (the round red ones). This allowed me to replace the torbeck but alas left me with the bigger problem of all taps and showers apart from the mains no longer running after I opened the valves again.
    I got a hose and connected it to the mains tap and since then have been pumping water through the other taps with varied results. My first attempt involved opening a tap in the bathroom nearest the kitchen and forcing water back through it from the mains. This cleared the taps in both baths but not the sinks. Since then I've tried pumping water through all the taps and showers (after taking off the shower heads). I've tried this in different orders (all taps and showers in furthest bathroom first followed by a similar treatment in nearer bathroom and vice versa). I must have pumped half the Bohernabreena reservoir through my taps at this stage!
    The best result I've managed is that now all taps in the bathroom sinks have water running again (the rate of flow is not great though). Taps in both baths have a fairly good flow. The shower connections have a very weak trickle and the hot tap in the kitchen has an extremely weak trickle.
    The only tap I haven't run water in reverse through is the hot tap in the kitchen because it is a mixer tap.
    I don't really understand what else I can do at this stage. I've cleared an airlock in a house using this hose technique in the past but maybe things are plumbed differently in an apartment.
    Apologies if this post is a bit long winded but I wanted to give as much information as possible.
    Can anyone advise me?
    Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Dalkin

Hi everyone,
    It only came to me after making the above post that in a house you generally would only have a pump for the central heating system. For non-mains taps does the pump help maintain pressure in an apartment? If so would bleeding the pump help? I haven't actually looked closely at the pump (never entered my head until making this post) but I presume it has one of those bleed screws. Could the pump be the problem?

Advertisement