Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

SUV vs car tyres

Options
  • 23-03-2020 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for new tyres for my Mitsubish Outlander Phev. They are 225/55/R18 98H when I look online for that size and weight rating it shows car tyres and suv tyres. What is the difference? I would have thought once the weight rating was the same that a car tyre would be suitable or is there some other difference with SUV tyres?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭og2k7

I'm looking for new tyres for my Mitsubish Outlander Phev. They are 225/55/R18 98H when I look online for that size and weight rating it shows car tyres and suv tyres. What is the difference? I would have thought once the weight rating was the same that a car tyre would be suitable or is there some other difference with SUV tyres?

From Google

In general, SUV tires are of a larger and heavier construction than passenger car tires, with a knobbier tread pattern better suited to occasional off-roading than a passenger car's

I have the phev as well and would only get the SUV tyres. Oponeo and couple of other sites have good prices

Hope this helps

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

The 98 is the load rating. Stay to that and get what you want

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

SUV tyres, for actually going offroad can have a thicker, stronger construction, tougher sidewalls against punctures. The thread can be more aggressive, as in an all terrain tyre or mud tyre (noisy, less road grip but obviously better in mud, not necessary in Ireland).

Once you get the right weight rating per tyre and size, then a decent HT (highway terrain) tyre will do.

Advertisement