Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will not be released from work if Covid19 affects workplace according to employer

Options
  • 23-03-2020 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hello,

I need advice and I’m sorry about being so vague on the details as I’d like to remain anonymous in case my boss reads this.

I work in a small business- there are five of us spot across two small rooms...including the boss.
    We work in an area where vulnerable people come into our shop -there is face-to-face interaction for goods and services.

His business is doing well off the back of this global pandemic; I’m grateful for the job security and empathize with others on here who are not so fortunate.

His nephew worked a day in the shop 6 days ago and we were informed this morning he’s waiting to be tested for Covid-19. Our employer has stipulated that we are not to go home and self-isolate - even if one of our members falls ill.

He’s a bit of a micromanager and I think a bit clueless because this cannot be right.

In the event of a positive test result, could you clarify my rights here before I argue my case with him?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,849 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If someone from contact tracing calls you, follow their instructions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'd start planting the seed their head, what happens if his whole team and himself have to isolate or get sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Masala

Deciding to self isolate is not an employers problem.

You could ask for holidays but the employer does not have to agree if you are needed.

He is under no obligation to give you a letter to stay at home and claim off the social.

Your only option then is to resign .... but that won’t get you on the social either and you would have to forego your notice payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Here are your employment rights relating to COVID-19.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_during_covid19_restrictions.html#l428e5

If you are concerned about the correct approach to self-isolation, call your GP and follow their advice.

Advertisement