Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I remove unsubscribe option on an internal newsletter?

Options
  • 23-03-2020 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I send out an internal newsletter to all my staff using a mailing list that everyone in the company is included on. However, the mailing lists keeps on becoming "unsubscribed" from the audience. My thinking is that some staff members are unsubscribing from the mailing list.

My question is, is it ethical to remove an unsubscribe option from an internal newsletter? This newsletter is how I let staff know about upcoming opportunities, job openings, introduce new staff members, and good news regarding the company and I would rather all staff receive it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

What are you using to send it?
    Most services like Mailchimp give you details about which email addresses are being removed / unsubscribed

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

If you remove the option to unsubscribe, people will just set up rules in their email client to divert the newsletter into a folder they never open anyway.

If people are unsubscribing from the newsletter they probably don't find it valuable, or it doesn't contain anything that is relevant to them. You should address this as the issue instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Leo64

If you remove the option to unsubscribe, people will just set up rules in their email client to divert the newsletter into a folder they never open anyway.

If people are unsubscribing from the newsletter they probably don't find it valuable, or it doesn't contain anything that is relevant to them. You should address this as the issue instead.

There are probably staff who don't think there is anything valuable in the newsletter but unfortunately it is an internal newsletter with company business so there is not much I can do to change the content. I think I would rather they divert than unsubscribe because then they unsubscribe everyone as it is sent to a mailing list and not individual emails.

mneylon wrote: »
    What are you using to send it?
    Most services like Mailchimp give you details about which email addresses are being removed / unsubscribed

I'm using Mailchimp but sending it to a mailing list so don't get specifics on who is unsubscribing unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Can you not just send it to a list of people? Or to an 'everyone' group? As far as I know, it being an internal email, you don't have to give people an option to not receive it.

• Advertisement

Wheety wrote: »
    Can you not just send it to a list of people? Or to an 'everyone' group? As far as I know, it being an internal email, you don't have to give people an option to not receive it.

Currently, I am using Mailchimp and I send it to a mailing list that includes all staff members. However, the mailing list keeps becoming "unsubscribed" from the audience. My thinking is that some staff are unsubscribing themselves and then accidentally unsubscribing the mailing list for everyone. I would like to remove the option to unsubscribe but having looked at Mailchimp in further detail it may not be an option.

I'm hoping I won't have to add each email manually as there are a lot of staff and growing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's totally ethical, provided you are sending to the work email.

Some eejits will always unsubscribe or auto delete - and they're usually the first to whine about not being told about stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

are you putting the mailing recipients in cc or Bcc.. Bcc should make it impossible to unsubscribe the group address.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭onedmc

Its an odd way to send to a list of people. As I imagine you are sending the email out to mailchimp who is just sending back to a single emal address in your company. That emil address is actually a list but the list is not managed by mailchimp.

Why not just send to the list in the first place. I dont see what mailchimp adds to the process but infact takes its away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Why are you using mail chimp at all?

I have to say I'd be interested in a discussion about mailing lists internally.
    But I appreciate this isn't the point of your question, its more of a technical issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

beauf wrote: »
    Why are you using mail chimp at all?

I have to say I'd be interested in a discussion about mailing lists internally.
    But I appreciate this isn't the point of your question, its more of a technical issue.

Presumably because mailchimp has templates for making pretty newsletters, instead of blah email messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Presumably because mailchimp has templates for making pretty newsletters, instead of blah email messages.

People obviously don't care about how pretty looking the emails are if they are unsubscribing from it. When I get internal or even external emails I rarely notice how pretty they look, sometimes pretty looking emails don't even get read because if they are putting that much effort into making it look pretty the content is probably not important.

A plain email with import notes is much better than a pretty email especially when people are swamped with emails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You can design emails (HTML) in word or outlook or most email clients if that was the case.

Advertisement