Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike stiff to cycle - bottom bracket wear

Options
  • 23-03-2020 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭

We were out cycling yesterday and my eldest was saying that her bike felt heavy and stiff.
    I’d given it a quick once over before we went out so tyre pressure was ok 50psi in 700*38, same as we always use. Breaks not rubbing, chain free, both wheels spin freely.

I checked again and the only issue I can see is play in the bottom bracket where the pedal crank goes through. The crank turns freely but the crank has a bit of slop when I rattle it. It doesn’t rattle or knock.

Would a small bit of play leave it hard to pedal then under load ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

_Brian wrote: »
    We were out cycling yesterday and my eldest was saying that her bike felt heavy and stiff.
    I’d given it a quick once over before we went out so tyre pressure was ok 50psi in 700*38, same as we always use. Breaks not rubbing, chain free, both wheels spin freely.

I checked again and the only issue I can see is play in the bottom bracket where the pedal crank goes through. The crank turns freely but the crank has a bit of slop when I rattle it. It doesn’t rattle or knock.

Would a small bit of play leave it hard to pedal then under load ??

Very unlikely. Slip the chain off the ring and test it. The cranks should spin freely.

Any slop in the back wheel. It might only rub when there is weight on it or pedalling

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The crank does spin freely by hand.

I rode behind the bike for a long time and no signs of wheel rubbing at any point.

She’s an elite athlete so well fit, we swapped bikes and although the fit was different the bike was a torture to ride, completely different than before.

I’ll get a chance later to get it up in the bench for closer inspection.

Advertisement