Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vw Golf Gte, is it worth it?

Options
  • 22-03-2020 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭

I'm strongly thinking of buying a 15/16 one of these but finding it hard to get any reviews of people who actually own one. Anyone out there to help me? I'm looking for range on electric an then fuel consumption when on petrol etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭User1998

I bought one 7/8 months ago and its by far the best car I’ve ever owned. The electric driving is so much better than any petrol or diesel car and the power is unreal when you use GTE mode. You’ll get about 30km Electric range, more in the summer. My long term average fuel consumption is over 100mpg but l mainly use e mode. You’ll get about 55mpg on the motorway using the engine, not sure about city driving

Mine is a 161 which I’m actually selling now and going to get a 171 face lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

User1998 wrote: »
    I bought one 7/8 months ago and its by far the best car I’ve ever owned. The electric driving is so much better than any petrol or diesel car and the power is unreal when you use GTE mode. You’ll get about 30km Electric range, more in the summer. My long term average fuel consumption is over 100mpg but l mainly use e mode. You’ll get about 55mpg on the motorway using the engine, not sure about city driving

Mine is a 161 which I’m actually selling now and going to get a 171 face lift.

Are u doing city or town driving on electric? I live in the countryside and have approx 60km round trip but have chargers outside my workplace.

City driving but not bumper to bumper traffic or anything, you could probably do the trip in E mode but on a colder morning with the heating on you’d need the engine for a few km, not a big deal tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

User1998 wrote: »
    City driving but not bumper to bumper traffic or anything, you could probably do the trip in E mode but on a colder morning with the heating on you’d need the engine for a few km, not a big deal tho.

Think I'm gonna take the jump, hard to find them in Ireland for decent money though, might take one in from the UK..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,143 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

@user1998

How much would your 161 be worth/going for?

• Advertisement

PM sent. If anyone else is interested feel free to message me

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭WattsUp

Are u doing city or town driving on electric? I live in the countryside and have approx 60km round trip but have chargers outside my workplace.

I had one for 3 years. Very good car but range is certainly not 50km. AT motorway speed will struggle to get 25km in winter.

If you do 30km each way and have a charger at work it is still an good option even if you have to do small part of spin with engine in depth of winter.

During summer you will certainly do 30km, even at motorway speed.

If you're on 100km/h roads you will be able do trip each way on electric even in winter as long as you pre-heat the car from app while it's plugged in. That saves a chunk of battery as you don't need an initial surge of energy from battery to heat cabin from cold.

Check when buying if car had the battery recall. A lot of 15/16 were recalled and battery disassembled to check for water ingress. About 50% ended up with brand new battery which is a plus on a 4 year old car.

PM me if you want to have a chat.

Advertisement