Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a Hydraulic Brake Groupset: please advise me?

Options
  • 20-03-2020 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

Good evening,

I hope you are well.
    I have a road bike frame which I plan to put on a hydraulic brake compatible groupset.
    I have very limited knowledge of hydraulic brake systems.
    I already have a 105 chainring, rear and front derailleur, chain and cassette... which I plan to run via cable...

The frame takes post- mount hydraulic disc brakes.

Can you advise me which shifters would work with the cable gears and then post mount hydraulic brakes?

I would really appreciate advice too on what size rotors to get?

The bike will be a touring / adventure / commuter bike..

Thank you!
    A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Shimano RS505 or 105 hydraulic should work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭saccades

Arequipa wrote: »
    Good evening,

I hope you are well.
    I have a road bike frame which I plan to put on a hydraulic brake compatible groupset.
    I have very limited knowledge of hydraulic brake systems.
    I already have a 105 chainring, rear and front derailleur, chain and cassette... which I plan to run via cable...

The frame takes post- mount hydraulic disc brakes.

Can you advise me which shifters would work with the cable gears and then post mount hydraulic brakes?

I would really appreciate advice too on what size rotors to get?

The bike will be a touring / adventure / commuter bike..

Thank you!
    A

All brakes are post mount, IS died aged ago.

So long as you avoid di2 and etap etc electronic shifting. Pretty much all the regular group sets will work, 105 hydraulic r7025s should be fine.

I'm 100kg and run 160mm on the road. Run 200mm on the MTB. Go for the halfway house of 180mm if you have front and rear panniers heavily loaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Thank you for the replies....

I plan on standard dropbar handlebar and road specific levers..

So if i went for 105 r7020 shifters...

Which post mount caliper would work weĺl with this shifter?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Shimano RS505 or 105 hydraulic should work

Do not go for RS505. They’re old non series shifters, they have difficult cable routing and they’re very big and bulky. Go for R7020 105 or R8020 Ultegra level shifters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Thanks mate.. yea they look quite old compared to the more streamlined modern shifters

• Advertisement
Advertisement