Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda recruitment 2020 language requirment

Options
  • 20-03-2020 8:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi folks,

The Garda language requirement demands that any applicant within the recruitment campaign must have a proven proficiency in a 2nd language either through fluency or a pass in an ordinary level leaving certificate language subject.

For those that do not have this, the PAS facilitate a an Irish language assessment after stage 3 of the recruitment process which shares some similarities to the leaving cert where you must complete an Irish oral and essay assessment.

I myself have been preparing for this test for a few months now, as I was useless at Irish in school and never took another language as a subject. Following the announcement that all leaving cert students’ oral examinations have been cancelled and the students will be awarded full marks, I am wondering if there should be an amendment made to the language requirements this year.

Since applicants who complete their leaving certificate this year are walking into their exam with a guaranteed 40% (100 marks from their oral) which is a pass - would it be fair to demand an Irish assessment to those who took their Irish exams in previous years and did not achieve a pass?

I am curious to know what you all may think!

Advertisement