Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spoke issues

Options
  • 20-03-2020 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Hoping you may be able to advise.

I bought a brand new bike last summer, a fairly nice Trek hybrid. Mainly used for commuting purposes on greenways and paved roads.

Since the purchase, over the past year I've had to bring it back to the shop 3 times due to spokes coming loose and coming out, and even after each repair it kept occurring. They then replaced the entire wheel.

It's been grand for the past three weeks, until this evening a spoke came out again.

Obviously I'll be going back to the shop, but what should I do or request in this scenario? The whole thing is just annoying now as I need it for my daily commute.

Surely this isn't normal, even with a bit of rougher riding (which I don't do) as it's a hybrid especially?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I'd similar with my Fuji hybrid, had never broken a spoke in my life until I got it, then several in a short spell. Replaced the rear wheel too with something supposedly much tougher, a couple of spokes broke on that pretty quickly too. Shop then replaced the wheel under guarantee and it's been fine since.
    That said I stopped towing a trailer with that bike after the last spoke popped, whether there's a direct connection or not I can't say for sure. Only one of maybe 6 spokes popped when the trailer was on the bike...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Thanks. They're fixing the broken spoke. We shall see but Jesus it's a pain to keep going back. Even after an entire wheel replacement!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I had regular spoke problems when I had to use a crap bike rack like this at work for a while.

75938_P&$prodImageMedium$

When we moved to proper Sheffield stands, the spoke problems went away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Cheers, I avoid those racks like the plague as is! Dreadful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

The usual issue with broken spokes is either poor quality spokes/wheel (but Trek wheels are generally pretty good, compared to some other brands), or else excessive weight (eg: child seats with child who is actually too heavy (>22kg) to use one, obese rider, etc).

Trek (and most other brands, I presume) have an upper weight limit for safety & warranty purposes (bike+rider+cargo total) - Trek's is 136kg for most adult models - any chance that your total weight exceeds this?

Advertisement