Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Photos

Options
  • 19-03-2020 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

While mindlessely browsing recently, on Google Photos I pressed 'Free Up Space', not reading what it does, or given a second chance to consider what I was actually doing.

It duly deleted a load of photos and videos off my device.

Granted, they are still in Google Photos, but I had many photos organised into specific folders (my wedding, different children) and now they are gone from the device.

I was wondering if anyone had any idea as to how to retrieve, or undo, what I did.

Thanks folks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Not sure about retrieval but they should be still organised within the app into any folder you had previously created.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭chases0102

Thanks for the reply GBX, but can't see any folders that I had created in my gallery (on the device) within the app itself.

As I said, all the photos exist on the app, but just has no organisation for quick access, editing, etc.

Very frustrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Google photos doesn't recognize your local albums. Its a completely different of thinking about your photos. The damage is done now unfortunately. If you can manually go through the big pile of photos in the app, which are sorted by date, you could start creating Google photos albums which are the equivalent of folders.

Thanks for the reply sentient,

Yeah it seems there is no easy way to undo what I did. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Its a smart system by the way. If you search for wedding for example you'll probably get back all the photos you want.

• Advertisement

Thanks, will give it a bit of time, as I'm not very familiar with it - had it primarily as a back up device.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

The photo's have been moved to the archive folder, if you can't see them on your smart device you will still access them on desktop version.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

chases0102 wrote: »
    Thanks, will give it a bit of time, as I'm not very familiar with it - had it primarily as a back up device.

You can also get Google photos to organise by face. Google how to enable it. It will then ask you to give names to people in the app.
    You will the be able to search by each of your kids names and it will return photos.
    I have used Google photos for years and it is amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Google Photos is fairly advanced, search for wedding you'll get wedding photos. You can also filter and sort by people, places etc

• Registered Users Posts: 33 gijoees

Hi all,

I wish I found this thread before offloading my photo's. I'm thankful I still have them but sickened that they are not in the albums I had created. Anyway, my question is mainly now, how to avoid repeating the same mistake.

• If I create albums on the google photos app/folder, can I atomically add the photos to these different folders?
    • Is there a way when freeing up space to organise the photos into the above folders or should I just do it in the app/folder?

I'm weirdly organised (OCD) when it comes to folders and this mistake has me devastated

Many thanks,

• Advertisement
Advertisement