Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Tv

Options
  • 18-03-2020 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭

I bought a TV directly from Sony a little over two years ago and it's working fine. I seen there is a software update to a new version of android. The problem is my set is failing to update. I contacted Sony they asked me to send the software version and they said its not valid. This is probably the reason it won't update. They basically said they don't support software issue and my tv is out of warranty. I now have a TV with limited functionality.

I have no control over the software version it is set by the manufacturer, which to me shows a clear fault with the product since I purchased it. Under the 6 year EU consumer law you can make a claim against a manufacturer if the fault was present from the time of purchase.

What do you think?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,311 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

so if it doesnt update to the latest version is it still running as it did with the previous version?

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Tango One

Yes but it will be limiting the life of the product by not being able to update. If you have ever used android you will notice certain apps will only run on later version. Plus its a basic function of the product that isn't working.

Tango One wrote: »
    Yes but it will be limiting the life of the product by not being able to update. If you have ever used android you will notice certain apps will only run on later version. Plus its a basic function of the product that isn't working.
    it is still working as it was when you bought it, or am i misunderstanding something?

it is still working as it was when you bought it, or am i misunderstanding something?

The voice command function isn't working which is why I went looking for a update or fix. Plus the update function has never worked.

Maybe I'm wrong but I would of thought a software update function should always work, as fixes and improvements can be key to a product through its life. Taking this tv left the factory in what looks almost like an engineer setup has me a little worried.

Tango One wrote: »
    The voice command function isn't working which is why I went looking for a update or fix.

Maybe I'm wrong but I would of thought a software update function should always work, as fixes and improvements can be key to a product through its life. Taking this tv left the factory in what looks almost like an engineer setup has me a little worried.

Always? that certainly isn't the case with android on phones. Hardware and software move quickly. New software releases wont always work on old hardware and i would be surprised if Sony quaranteed that they did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭copper04

try following this advice. I had a similar problem and had to pair the remote with the TV a second time. Here is link to follow.
    https://www.sony.ie/electronics/support/articles/00109227

Always? that certainly isn't the case with android on phones. Hardware and software move quickly. New software releases wont always work on old hardware and i would be surprised if Sony quaranteed that they did.

I thinking you are missing the point, I'm not saying they should always have a update to the latest version. It is the mechanism to update a TV shouldn't break.

An update is available but I cant upgrade due to some random engineering software version on the TV. That's more my issue eventually it will have an impact on tv. Do you know anyone running an android device on kitkat they will tell some app are unavailable.

I bought two Sony tv at the same time one updated fine while the other is stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,516 ✭✭✭✭Varik

A lot of the time software updates are a type called delta updates, where they only included what has been changed rather than installing the full firmware from scratch. These can only work on more recent versions as too much will have changed in the firmware, in those cases you've to download the full firmware off their website. so it's likely not some pre release candidate firmware and is just old.

Find the TV on their website and download the firmware to a USB stick.

Varik wrote: »
    A lot of the time software updates are a type called delta updates, where they only included what has been changed rather than installing the full firmware from scratch. These can only work on more recent versions as too much will have changed in the firmware, in those cases you've to download the full firmware off their website. so it's likely not some pre release candidate firmware and is just old.

Find the TV on their website and download the firmware to a USB stick.

Yeah I tried that then sony sent me out USB with the latest but it didn't make a difference. I'm guessing the software compares the old verse the new
    If the old version is incorrect or doesn't need to be updated it does nothing.

Advertisement