Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Mayo County Library card with Pressreader

Options
  • 18-03-2020 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

From library website:
    Online Newspapers
    With Press Reader, you can read your favourite national and international digital newspapers, such as The Irish Independent, The Guardian, and many more. Click here to go to Press Reader. Click on 'sign-in' and then 'Library and Group'. Search for Mayo County Library and login with your library card number. You can also access Press Reader in the library using our wifi, on library PCs, on your smartphone with your browser or the PressReader app at home or anywhere!
    Would be lovely to have this while we're all housebound. But I tied it just now with my card from Mayo County Library, which is one of the libraries on the dropdown, but I get Unknown Error. Tried it both with mobile app and on desktop. No joy with either.

Anyone else out there able to get it to work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,106 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Apparently the library staff are all working (behind closed doors) so give them a buzz tomorrow and they'll help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I'm on press reader, and if I recall correctly I had to set up my a/c on a desktop first before I could enable it on the app.
    Great app and regular reader of the Chattanooga Times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Thanks Fann Linn!
    I was getting the same error as leck earlier, but tried via the desktop and that seems to have got the account working. Logged in now on the App, no bother.

Now, as well as an entire world of books to not get around to reading even despite the shutdown, I'll have newspapers and magazines too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

maudgonner wrote: »
    Thanks Fann Linn!
    I was getting the same error as leck earlier, but tried via the desktop and that seems to have got the account working. Logged in now on the App, no bother.

Now, as well as an entire world of books to not get around to reading even despite the shutdown, I'll have newspapers and magazines too :pac:

Great.
    Try the RB digital app for even more magazines. Same sort of set up with your library number. And don't forget borrow box either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Great.
    Try the RB digital app for even more magazines. Same sort of set up with your library number. And don't forget borrow box either.
    Thanks. When I went back to use PressReader today, it worked without any problem. I presume it works 24 hours and not just library hours?

Got RB Digital up and running too.

Delighted to have both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭ifeelstupid

Does it need to be a physical library card or can I join the library online and use PressReader then?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MidnightOil

Does it need to be a physical library card or can I join the library online and use PressReader then?

It's now possible to join the library online & use @BorrowBox straight away!
    Just go to librariesireland.ie/join, complete the registration, set a PIN and you'll be able to log in to Borrowbox with those details to download eBooks and audiobooks

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

It's now possible to join the library online & use @BorrowBox straight away!
    Just go to librariesireland.ie/join, complete the registration, set a PIN and you'll be able to log in to Borrowbox with those details to download eBooks and audiobooks
    Valuable info.

I rejoined the Library a couple of months ago after 20 years absence. My main interest was borrowing ebooks to read on an ereader, but I tried Pressreader and the online magazine portal. Both provide free access to a great range of publications.

IMHO, in order to read newspapers and magazines comfortably, you need a failrly large format tablet rather than a PC or laptop. The landscape format is not ideal for publications created in portrait.

All three are great Library services though. A good ereader is perfect for novels, in particular - maybe less so for textbooks where you might need to refer back and forward between pages and read images, charts etc..

I used a basic Kindle ereader for years and it was fine but recently switched to a Kobo Libra and I'd recommend it highly.

In summary, the Library is a great but underused service, funded by the taxpayer but free to use. It offers other valuable services I haven't mentioned above. You should join! http://www.mayolibrary.ie/en/home/index.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Yeah I was in the exact same boat. Joined up the library for the kids but I found that I've been using the membership more for the e-reader side of things too. I have a 10" Kindle fire and its perfect for the magazines and newspapers. Still can't beleive the amount of content there is for free between the three apps.

Advertisement