Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Office chair - purchased Monday - changed my mind

Options
  • 17-03-2020 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi. I purchased an occice chair for my home office Monday evening for €300.00.
    The item is in the department stores warehouse so I gave yet to collect it. However, I have changed my mind and would prefer to cancel the purchase.
    Based on the charter I read on this, I suspect I can't cancel. Is this correct?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,266 ✭✭✭✭endacl

This is correct. If it functions correctly as an office chair, then it's the office chair you'll be occupying till you buy the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Baseball72

Thanks for the prompt reply - somehow I thought there might be a cooling off period - time to enjoy the chair I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,973 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Did you purchase it online or in a store?

How did you pay? Cash, card etc? Did you pay in full or put down a deposit?

Laser debit card - in store. Paid in full .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,533 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

If you bought it online there is a longer cooling off period that will protect you.

• Advertisement

Have you told the store that you don't want it?

Some places will reverse the sale & charge a restocking fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

If you bought it in a store, you have no legal right to cancel. However, some stores have a voluntary policy of allowing cancellation or change of mind. Some others will let you cancel it but only allow a credit note.

This is up to the retailer. I does not hurt to ask. Go in, have a quiet chat and see if you can come to an arrangement.

Thanks. That was / is my plan - to pop up in the morning to discuss. No problem with paying a reasonable re-restocking fee or accepting a credit note - to purchase something I really need - rather than something I merely wanted.

Baseball72 wrote: »
    Thanks. That was / is my plan - to pop up in the morning to discuss. No problem with paying a reasonable re-restocking fee or accepting a credit note - to purchase something I really need - rather than something I merely wanted.

The vast majority of stores will be able to accommodate you in store credit or restocking fee as a good will gesture

Thank you all, I will post update tomorrow. In the greater scheme of things, it's not a huge problem - but it was an impulse purchase which I should have been better aware of.

• Advertisement

Good afternoon all.

I visited the store late morning and spoke with two of the staff members that I have dealt with on Monday when purchasing the chair.

I explained I had changed my mind and offered to pay a stock adjustment fee - but no need - they refunded the payment in full - order cancelled. Funds should be back in my account in a few days.

Thank you all for your guidance and experience on this. Also, a big shout out to the store concerned - Harvey Norman in Carrickmines. I will be back to purchase products that I really really need!

Thank you again.

Advertisement