Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulating old house

Options
  • 16-03-2020 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Just bought stone terraced town house, built 1840. Fixer upper and replacing everything including roof but excluding floors and exterior walls. I'm unsure about what materials to best use for insulation during the renovation.

I've read enough places about the walls should be breathable so lime mortar / lime plaster for stone walls. Do you need more to retain heat in house?

The floors are concrete slab so any issues with laminate floor straight on top bar having cold feet?

Is it important to have breathable insulation for roof as it will be lofted roof?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

ohea180 wrote: »
    Just bought stone terraced town house, built 1840. Fixer upper and replacing everything including roof but excluding floors and exterior walls. I'm unsure about what materials to best use for insulation during the renovation.

I've read enough places about the walls should be breathable so lime mortar / lime plaster for stone walls. Do you need more to retain heat in house?

The floors are concrete slab so any issues with laminate floor straight on top bar having cold feet?

Is it important to have breathable insulation for roof as it will be lofted roof?

is it bare red brick etc on external walls?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ohea180

Idbatterim wrote: »
    is it bare red brick etc on external walls?

Outside is pebble dash, inside was all plaster board but has been removed now so just stone with some plaster still on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I put battons on the wall and put the insulated plaster board onto that. Rooms are really warm.

Attic was already done when we moved in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭ScallionAyter

Triple glaze windows and a good composite door.

Good quality carpet makes a huge difference to warmth vs laminate floor.

Oversize your rads so they're future proofed in case you're forced to go down the heat pump route.

If it's oil fired central heating, ask your plumber about laying zero heat-loss insulated pipe from the engine house to the house.

Advertisement