Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling Contracts or asking them to waive 3 months payments during COVID19?

Options
  • 16-03-2020 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

I hope this is the right place?

So went about cancelling a few direct debits today and then calling the companies to let them know. As you all know if you have to be at home during this COVID19 issue, we are only getting €205 a week. So unnecessary luxuries like TV, home alarm etc have to be cancelled. Things we are keeping are Health Insurance, a few bob to get back on feet after the possible time off as self employed. Also still paying for phone as it's the only mode of entertainment and social contact with elderly family.

So now I get on to Phone Watch. I'm still in contract with them until August, they have asked me to pay a reduced fee monthly, which is only €7 less, or pay €187 now to buy out contract. They would not suspend for 3 months and add them on at the end, which is what I had asked and only gave me the other two options (I was asking as a worse case scenario). I just won't have the money to cover it? Is there a way out of contract or not? What should I be looking for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Contact social welfare ask them if they can assist, when you get the opportunity... Teach phone watch what the effect of having an unhappy customer is.

Ideally you would have the name of the person who told you there was no alternative for when you contact phonewatch to tell them you are not in need of their services in the future.... Personally I have a dislike for the monitored alarm system.... Knowing the criminals that I have seen through work, if someone was to tell them the gardai are on the way ...they could trash the place out of spite, never understood the need to see who is in my house if I'm not there.

I assume you checked when your contract started and when it's due to end (most of the time it's a 12-18month contract), do phonewatch offer a lesser package which you could move down to ?

One thing that circumstances like this will show people.... What is essential and what is a luxury... Items like subscription TV, phonewatch , mobile phone contracts, gym membership, golf clubs etc

Advertisement