Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cordless landline phone turned off but when folk phone it - they hear ring tone.

Options
  • 16-03-2020 9:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Does anyone know what's the cause? Any solution?

Thanks.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,468 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi.

Does anyone know what's the cause? Any solution?

Thanks.

Likely the base station is still plugged in to the mains.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭patspost

Do you want the handset to ring, as well as the base unit?
    Go to settings and check in case the ringer is turned off on handset.
    Remove and reinsert the batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,392 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

When you say turned off, do you mean they don’t have an active landline service from anyone?

Do you mean that people ringing their landline number hear a ringing tone even though no phone is ringing in the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

You can have no phone plugged into the phone socket in your house and someone phoning your landline will still get a ringtone.

The ringtone is generated at the phone network exchange. It is basically an indication to the caller that phone network is sending a ring signal to the line they are calling.

A tree could have brought down the phone line to the called person's house and the caller would still get a ringtone.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

^ this.

Its been the case for a long time now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Worztron

Hi AD. Yes, it is. The handset was taken off the base and turned off (held in the hang-up red button).

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

patspost wrote: »
    Do you want the handset to ring, as well as the base unit?
    Go to settings and check in case the ringer is turned off on handset.
    Remove and reinsert the batteries.

Hi patspost. No. If the handset is powered off, I want someone that called me to hear a dead (non-ringing) tone. The base volume is off in settings and the handset volume is a few bars.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    When you say turned off, do you mean they don’t have an active landline service from anyone?

Do you mean that people ringing their landline number hear a ringing tone even though no phone is ringing in the house?

Hi Colm. I have an active landline phone. The handset is powered off - when I want some peace and quite. The base is always powered and the telephone line is always in the wall (RJ11).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Hi Colm. I have an active landline phone. The handset is powered off - when I want some peace and quite. The base is always powered and the telephone line is always in the wall (RJ11).

Your phone is off but the landline is active so the caller thinks your phone is ringing.

To change what the caller hears unhook the landline and they will get an engaged tone and you still get peace and quiet.

Another alternative would be to turn on a message recorder (answering machine).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭niallb

Hi AD. Yes, it is. The handset was taken off the base and turned off (held in the hang-up red button).

Not relevant. It's sztill online. Disconnecting completely as Johnboy suggested may or may not work (it doesn't for me).

The line is ringing. The choice to not have a device attached to it that makes noise doesn't change that.
    If they are trying to leave the phone "off the hook", they could try using a fully wired telephone from the 1980's.
    Possibly easier to find in an attic at this time than a more technical solution.

Diverting to an answering service might suit them better, but it's hard to remember. Picking the phone up is very visible.

Some base stations have a built in answering machine, or their telephone provider may have a product they can use. It's usually activated by typing a sequence of numbers such as *21* - Do not just type that in without getting specific help or they may not be able to receive calls at all.

• Advertisement

niallb wrote: »
    Not relevant. It's sztill online. Disconnecting completely as Johnboy suggested may or may not work (it doesn't for me).

I was not suggesting the phone be disconnected.
    I suggested taking the phone 'off-hook' which is the same as saying grab the line with your phone as if you were making an outgoing call, but do not dial anything.

This does not work for you?
    What happens if you do this?

I was not suggesting the phone be disconnected.
    I suggested taking the phone 'off-hook' which is the same as saying grab the line with your phone as if you were making an outgoing call, but do not dial anything.

Hi JB. When I disconnected the cable from the wall and rang my landline phone from my mobile phone - there was silence.

Hi JB. When I disconnected the cable from the wall and rang my landline phone from my mobile phone - there was silence.

There was no sound at all on the mobile phone?
    Not even a message saying the call could not be connected?

There was no sound at all on the mobile phone?
    Not even a message saying the call could not be connected?

Ah, wait. Now that you say - I think there was a voice saying that.

Ah, wait. Now that you say - I think there was a voice saying that.

But if the caller was using a landline there would be no such message I expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Not getting the point here. OP you have an active landline and and are annoyed that 'folk' are ringing it and getting an active ring *burr, burr* from their side? What's the big deal? Who rings landlines these days anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭niallb

I

If I don't have a device plugged in at all, a caller will still hear it ring.
    I know this because I don't use the landline.

A fully wired phone left off hook should make it busy, but DECT wireless phones don't.
    Very early analog wireless phones as far as I remember left the line engaged if they were lifted or ready for dialing.

niallb wrote: »
    If I don't have a device plugged in at all, a caller will still hear it ring.
    I know this because I don't use the landline.

Yes of course that is expected.
    A fully wired phone left off hook should make it busy, but DECT wireless phones don't.
    Very early analog wireless phones as far as I remember left the line engaged if they were lifted or ready for dialing.

Strange, I am reasonably sure that my DECT phone engaged the line when I pressed the call button and got a dial tone.

I would think it could not work properly if it didn't.

degsie wrote: »
    Not getting the point here. OP you have an active landline and and are annoyed that 'folk' are ringing it and getting an active ring *burr, burr* from their side? What's the big deal? Who rings landlines these days anyway.

Hi degsie. Not sure why you put the word folk in quotes. I don't want them to think they are being ignored if they hear a ring tone when my landline is actually off - I'd prefer a dead tone or silence be heard from the caller when they phone my powered off landline phone. Clearly landlines are still used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Hi degsie. Not sure why you put the word folk in quotes. I don't want them to think they are being ignored if they hear a ring tone when my landline is actually off - I'd prefer a dead tone or silence be heard from the caller when they phone my powered off landline phone. Clearly landlines are still used.

Only way to do that is to call divert your land line to your mobile voicemail number and turn off voicemail
    Each divert will cost you but they will get a 'the person you are calling is not available' message

Anyone ringing a plugged out landmine always gets a ring tone

• Advertisement

Call your provider and request them to discontinue your service.

Pick up your DECT handset;
    press the button to hear a dial tone;
    lay the handset down (not in cradle), out of earshot.

Now try to ring the landline number from other landline or mobile - It should give an engaged tone.

I have no idea if a DECT handset could 'time out' and let the line go active again after some period of time.

The other thought that came to mind is that there might well be a 'SILENT' setting on the DECT system that would be easily engaged.
    This would give the caller the ringing feedback, but you would hear nothing.

Mortelaro wrote: »
    ...Anyone ringing a plugged out landmine always gets a ring tone

I'd definitely ensure that was plugged out! ;-)

Call your provider and request them to discontinue your service.

Please post something useful.

Have you tried call forwarding?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Spoke to a former Eir technician. He first said "why?". Also said that if you take the phone off the hook and leave it, that will work. But not with all digital phones. Suggested buying a cheapo wired phone and plugging it in and then just lift the receiver and leave it on the table. But means nobody will be able to get through. Otherwise cancel the account.

Have you tried call forwarding?

No. That's not what I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You CAN cause an engaged tone. But then callers will think you're on a call with no call waiting and try repeatedly.

You CANNOT stop the exchange ringing on your behalf. If you want that hop in a tardis back to 1979.

Silly thread.....

No. That's not what I want.

Thought about moving house? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Advertisement