Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turbo Recommendations

Options
  • 15-03-2020 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭

Any fluid turbo bargains around? I reckong I'm going to have to invest in one as I expect my spin class to be closed fairly soon and with group rides being curtailed I'll need something to keep fit and wile away a few hours.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

54and56 wrote: »
    Any fluid turbo bargains around? I reckong I'm going to have to invest in one as I expect my spin class to be closed fairly soon and with group rides being curtailed I'll need something to keep fit and wile away a few hours.
    Solo spin?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Ya see this is the problem imo, you're waiting for the classes to stop when in reality a spin class room is basically one large petri dish. Just a thought but probably not the best place to voluntarily go, if it seems like a stupid idea it probably is.

Solo spin or a basic trainer will replicate a spin class easy enough.

€50 you could hardly go wrong. https://www.adverts.ie/other-bike-parts-accessories/tacx-blue-twist-t2675-trainer/19967260

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

Solo spin?

It's an option but I really don't like solo cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

It's an option but I really don't like solo cycling.

What would the indoor trainer session be? Solo outside is so much better

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Kaisr Sose wrote: »

As long as it's still permitted. Spain & Italy have shut down even that type of activity, only allowed outside in very limited circumstances. Let's hope it doesn't need to come to that here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I was about to sell my turbo, my credit card expired meaning my Zwift subscription ended. Never bothered renewing it and realised I hadn't been on the turbo since early Feb. Will hold off looking at those photos from Spain over the last few days though.

Bonus time for me last week so went and splashed out on a smart trainer today in anticipation of a more severe lockdown. Guy in the shop said the demand for them has been huge!

If nothing else I'll get to see what all the fuss is about :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 45 cillchainnigh

Bonus time for me last week so went and splashed out on a smart trainer today in anticipation of a more severe lockdown. Guy in the shop said the demand for them has been huge!

If nothing else I'll get to see what all the fuss is about :pac:

Considering this too in tandem with a Zwift subscription. What did you go for in the end? Would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭rdhma

Have a Wahoo Kickr Core smart trainer. I would recommend this if you need a very quiet trainer. All you can hear is the whirr of the chain really.

rdhma wrote: »
    Have a Wahoo Kickr Core smart trainer. I would recommend this if you need a very quiet trainer. All you can hear is the whirr of the chain really.

Thanks! Excuse my ignorance, but how noisy can they get? Any views on the Tacx Vortex?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭rdhma

The Tacx Vortex and any other trainer that requires wheel contact will be much louder than a direct drive trainer. It's unavoidable.

Direct drive is more expensive, but important if you have thin walls with the neighbours, sleeping kids etc.
    A trainer that doesn't get used due to noise complaints is a complete waste of money.

rdhma wrote: »
    The Tacx Vortex and any other trainer that requires wheel contact will be much louder than a direct drive trainer. It's unavoidable.

Direct drive is more expensive, but important if you have thin walls with the neighbours, sleeping kids etc.
    A trainer that doesn't get used due to noise complaints is a complete waste of money.

Thanks for the informative response; really appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭themighty

Another alternative if you're having trouble sourcing a Core or similar. Not as quiet, but very solid.

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/accessories/turbo-trainers/return-cycleops-h2-hammer-direct-drive-smart-turbo-trainer_482773

Considering this too in tandem with a Zwift subscription. What did you go for in the end? Would you recommend?

I've paid for an Elite Suito that's due in on Friday so can't advise one way or the other yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

Picked up a second hand turbo elite fluid muin non smart. Have the TT rig set up on it with a power meter and use a pair of blue tooth headphones and Spotify. Can’t believe how quite the muin. 3 kids and a baby in the house. I turbo at 6 am most mornings and wake nobody

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭meercat

I've paid for an Elite Suito that's due in on Friday so can't advise one way or the other yet...

Snap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I have the direto the last few months and I have no complaints at all except for the slight delay in response to elevation changes but it's barely discernible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

Kaisr Sose wrote: »

Safer. I really don't like cycling solo. It's less safe than cycling with someone else or a group and it's way less sociable, a big part of cycling for me is the interaction I have with group riders.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Any recommendations for dumb turbo training plans/sessions?

I followed a 6 week beginner session from Wheelworx (week 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6), and GCN have some good videos to follow if you have access to YouTube while on the trainer.

Wouldn't mind a few more sources.

If you have a speed and cadence sensor you can still use Zwift, Trainerroad, and the likes, in resistance mode.

British cycling used to have a bunch of free cycling plans and sessions. Might be worth a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Thanks, I'll look into resistance mode.

Here's the British Cycling Indoor Training Sessions.

Those are the workouts I was talking about alright. There seem to be a lot less of them available. It seems that they charge for the plans now.

I have them all downloaded from when they were free. PM me your email address if you want me to send them on.

Advertisement